ECN Forum
Posted By: Admin Marina Telephone Flexible Conduit - 08/26/04 05:53 PM
The attached photos show telephone cable installed in such a way as to make me forget what I was doing and overlook for a time the supports missing on cables. If anyone recognizes the location, please do not state where it is. I asked permission to post these pictures as long as I did not say where they were taken.

1- The flexible conduits (and cables) need supports within 12" of the cabinets and at 3' intervals thereafter across the deck. NEC 350.30, 356.30

2- The flexible cable connection to the receptacle box is damaged and requires support as above. NEC 350.24

3- I should have checked the telephone cabling inside the hose, it must be listed for a wet location. The raceway (garden hose) is not listed for its use. NEC 800.4, 110.3(B), 800.6

4- The receptacles were GFCI protected by a breaker, but the cover was needing to be weatherproof while-in-use. NEC 406.8 (B)(1)

Shane
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Theelectrikid Re: Marina Telephone Flexible Conduit - 09/27/04 02:03 AM
No, no way... definately no way... Please tell me when the NEC said "Garden hose is a permitted raceway?" (Question not comment.) At least you can do what I know somebody said in another post, "Saving materials by combining water and electrical service." I'd like to see that hose connected to a faucet...
Posted By: ShockMe77 Re: Marina Telephone Flexible Conduit - 01/02/07 03:21 AM
BUMP!

From time to time I look at some of these old threads to further familiarize myself with code articles and violations. This one I thought was pretty comical. Does the flex coming from out of the enclosure to the weatherproof box violate bending radius requirements?
Posted By: n1ist Re: Marina Telephone Flexible Conduit - 01/02/07 04:35 PM
The top garden hose certainly looks like it does...
Posted By: Zapped Re: Marina Telephone Flexible Conduit - 01/02/07 08:35 PM
I think ShockMe77 and I are seeing the same thing. Isn't that a couple of garden hoses (bottom left and top)?

Is this a bad use of garden hoses for data/com or a bad use of a single-ganged outdoor box for a water junction? Either way, I don't like it!
Posted By: EV607797 Re: Marina Telephone Flexible Conduit - 01/02/07 08:43 PM
I see shoddy workmanship at marinas all the time. PVC sagging or pulling apart is probably the most common. White PVC couplings and elbows with gray PVC for electrical work is probably next. They get pretty creative with garden hoses too, but that's probably one of the better botch jobs that I have seen.
Posted By: Lostazhell Re: Marina Telephone Flexible Conduit - 01/03/07 05:05 AM
That would never fly here! The connector isn't listed for a garden hose! [Linked Image]
Posted By: Theelectrikid Re: Marina Telephone Flexible Conduit - 01/04/07 12:45 AM
That would never fly here! The connector isn't listed for a garden hose! [Linked Image]

That's the least of their problems...

Ian (Calling ****** Construction to demo a singlewide!) A.
Posted By: iwire Re: Marina Telephone Flexible Conduit - 01/05/07 10:36 AM
I have to ask. [Linked Image]

What NEC code violation code be cited?

Lets leave 'Neat and Workmanlike' out of it.
Posted By: RSmike Re: Marina Telephone Flexible Conduit - 01/05/07 05:43 PM
I can't believe I'm about to argue in favor of parts of this.....

If the phone cable inside the garden hose is rated for direct exposure to sunlight, saltwater, fishhooks, etc. does inserting it into garden hose violate anything?

If done neatly what violations exist.

And please list code sections.

RSlater,
RSmike
Posted By: resqcapt19 Re: Marina Telephone Flexible Conduit - 01/05/07 09:23 PM
If this was inside a building then 800.110 would apply and require compliance with the rules in Chapter 3, however being outside, there is nothing to require complaince with Chapter 3 as the Chapter 8 Articles are "stand alone".
Don
Posted By: Lostazhell Re: Marina Telephone Flexible Conduit - 01/06/07 04:10 PM
Does anyone else see a problem with the bending radius on the sealtite going to the quad outlet or lack of support?
Posted By: ShockMe77 Re: Marina Telephone Flexible Conduit - 01/06/07 07:12 PM
^^
Yes!

It's unbelievable that using garden hose in a W/P box for low voltage connections is NOT a violation. But it sure is good for discussion (and laughs!).
Posted By: iwire Re: Marina Telephone Flexible Conduit - 01/07/07 02:08 PM
It's unbelievable that using garden hose in a W/P box for low voltage connections is NOT a violation.

Is there a safety issue?

If not IMO the NEC should keep out of it. [Linked Image]

It's ugly, it's hack, but other than perhaps a trip hazard I see no safety issue.
Posted By: iwire Re: Marina Telephone Flexible Conduit - 01/07/07 02:10 PM
Does anyone else see a problem with the bending radius on the sealtite going to the quad outlet or lack of support?

Yes and will add 225.22 ....'Arainged to drain'

That is a violation with almost all outdoor AC units.
Posted By: lukemon Re: Marina Telephone Flexible Conduit - 05/13/08 06:35 PM
at least it might be water proof
Posted By: WireNuts29 Re: Marina Telephone Flexible Conduit - 05/13/08 11:13 PM
Is there a U.L. listing on the garden hose. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say it's not listed for this application. Even if it were listed for this application, those connectors are surely not listed for garden hose.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Marina Telephone Flexible Conduit - 05/14/08 10:11 PM
Wirenuts29:
Since you brought this gem back to life....did you read Don's (Resqcapt19) statement above?

It's a hack install, but; UL listed garden hose, perhaps, but for irrigation, or maybe drinking water. Yes, it looks like heck, NO, I would not do it as an EC (I doubt that a 'pro' did this), but as an AHJ...I can't fail it.

BTW, the connectors look like pipe nipples into the hubs.
Posted By: WireNuts29 Re: Marina Telephone Flexible Conduit - 05/16/08 11:49 PM
It's silly the amount of attention this gets, and as an ahj. If somebody actually called for an inspection of this. I'd suspect you could refer it to the plumbing inspector?
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Marina Telephone Flexible Conduit - 05/17/08 12:51 AM
No, the plumbing inspector has no jurisdiction on the hose; he has to check the backflow (anti-siphon). LMAO!!

The hack squad should be called
© ECN Electrical Forums