ECN Forum
Posted By: Admin Wire in Air Return Duct - 09/14/05 03:05 AM
Wire in Air Return Duct -
Or- is it the other way around? In this older building, currently being restored, the HVAC guy "made a duct" by sealing a joist bay with a sheet of metal.

In this pic, you are looking into the opening where the return air grille sets. Please note the K & T wire mounted inside this duct.

- renosteinke
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: IanR Re: Wire in Air Return Duct - 09/14/05 11:05 AM
Efficient utilization of space?
Posted By: Alan Belson Re: Wire in Air Return Duct - 09/14/05 04:18 PM
Nice figured timber. Oak?

Alan
Posted By: Texas_Ranger Re: Wire in Air Return Duct - 09/14/05 04:44 PM
Would guesss so, especially the first pic really looks like oak. Badly butchered around the hole though!
Posted By: alan bergold Re: Wire in Air Return Duct - 09/14/05 10:21 PM
I THING THIS WAS A STANDARD PRACTICE FOR HVAC BACK IN THE DAY. BUT CHOOSING A BAY WHERE KNOB+TOBE WIRING IS LOCATED IS JUST PLAIN STUPID....
Posted By: ShockMe77 Re: Wire in Air Return Duct - 09/15/05 12:04 AM
Now why on earth would someone NOT USE an electrician here is beyond me. I hate when those outlets are on the molding like that cus' I know some BS wiring like this can't be too far away. I would guess the wiring was there before the duct was. Really no excuse for this kind of work.

Brutal, just brutal.

[This message has been edited by ShockMe77 (edited 09-14-2005).]
Posted By: renosteinke Re: Wire in Air Return Duct - 09/15/05 12:43 AM
Let's get out our codebooks and see what the NEC has to say....anyone?
Posted By: e57 Re: Wire in Air Return Duct - 09/15/05 12:45 AM
Wiring K&T inside a plenum isn't in the Not permited section? (394.12) Its not hip in my mind, but may be allowed?

I figure the wiring came first, but who knows, it was 40-80 years ago.

As for base board mounted recepticals, I do it all the time (matching existing and new.), many prefer it.
Posted By: Lostazhell Re: Wire in Air Return Duct - 09/15/05 10:24 PM
Speaking of the baseboard recept, My father in law has a house that was built sometime in the late 1800's (I found an "afterthought" fusible switch that was tied into somekind of K&T "loop" in the attic that was dated 1905) and the walls aren't thick (deep) enough to fit a standard depth cut in box inside, unless you place it in the baseboard were it adds some extra depth....

-Randy
Posted By: renosteinke Re: Wire in Air Return Duct - 09/16/05 12:15 AM
300.22 discusses wiring methods permitted in ducts. K & T isn't one of the permitted methods.
That aside, this duct was certainly made after the wire was in place, and well after the building was first put up. The resulting violation is probably due to ignorance on the part of the installer.

The short version: wiring inside ducts has to be in a metal conduit of some sort, or be miner-insulated cable.

I have often seen wires pass through ducts- form side to side- but this is the first time I've seen the wires running lengthwise within the duct.

I am told, by my friends in the HVAC community, that such "made" ducts have prooven to be rather poor ducts, and that the practice of making a duct by closing off a joist bay is abvoided by better contractors. It may (I don't really know) also violate some of the newer energy codes.
Posted By: Redsy Re: Wire in Air Return Duct - 09/16/05 01:37 AM
As far as the "making of a return" by "panning" off residential floor joist bays, it is so common here that I assumed it was a universal practice.
Posted By: Texas_Ranger Re: Wire in Air Return Duct - 09/16/05 05:34 PM
Should make for nice floor heating/cooling... and some weird drafts through the floor!
Such methods are close to impossible to use here - basement ceilings are inevitably either brick arch or cast concrete and all other ceilings are usually finished... crawl spaces are non-existant. Actually I like that - there are no spaces for critters, the beam ceilings are pretty much sealed up.
Posted By: Hazmat Re: Wire in Air Return Duct - 09/30/05 07:33 PM
That method of ductwork is/was very common in the midwest until the 60's, when ready-ade ductwork became more available. My own home had about 50 feet (cold air return) in the main floor joist bays until I lifted it and had a new basement poured.
© ECN Electrical Forums