ECN Forum
Posted By: Joe Tedesco Classic Violation Revisited! - 09/27/05 05:56 AM
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Hemingray Re: Classic Violation Revisited! - 09/27/05 08:14 PM
Anyone got some wirenuts? I see some old Hatfield brand wiring in there too. alot of houses back where I lived in Florida was wired with this brand of wiring
Posted By: mamills Re: Classic Violation Revisited! - 09/27/05 10:53 PM
Several things here:
1) what is the max wire count supposed to be in a box like this? I have a feeling that twelve is way too much for this little box.
2) it would be good for that newer romex to be clamped in place, too.
3) question: if these wires were pre-twisted (albeit VERY poorly), why are they twisted COUNTERCLOCKWISE [Linked Image]?
4) bonding to the box would be a good thing.
5) how about nice longer tails in the box (a larger box) so that the splices can be made up properly?
6) yeah, wirenuts would be a nice touch here [Linked Image], so would a cover (although I hope it was removed for picture taking, or because this thing is in such a sorry state that it's about to be completely re-worked).

This one's a do-over.

Mike (mamills)

[This message has been edited by mamills (edited 09-27-2005).]

[This message has been edited by mamills (edited 09-27-2005).]
Posted By: Hemingray Re: Classic Violation Revisited! - 09/27/05 10:56 PM
there's alot more than 12 in there, unless that other piece of "Plastic" romex is going over the box..
Posted By: n1ist Re: Classic Violation Revisited! - 09/27/05 11:02 PM
I count 5 white wires and 5 black ones plus the grounds and clamps - looks like 12 for the fill.

[This message has been edited by n1ist (edited 09-27-2005).]
Posted By: John Crighton Re: Classic Violation Revisited! - 09/28/05 01:02 AM
Yes, it's just shameful the way the screws don't match. [Linked Image]

Why are some of the grounding conductors so small? (Look at the twisted area in the middle.) Is that some kind of weird cable?

I wonder if there was also a plaster ring and a device of some kind. This looks like the sort of thing you'd see in the middle of a garage, with a porcelain lampholder.
Posted By: Elviscat Re: Classic Violation Revisited! - 09/28/05 01:25 AM
John- That old cloth covered romex and some of the earlier black plastic stuff sometimes had a #16 reduced ground, I usually find it wrapped around the screw on the cable clamp

-Will

[This message has been edited by Elviscat (edited 09-27-2005).]
Posted By: Ryan_J Re: Classic Violation Revisited! - 09/28/05 01:15 PM
It might be a good idea to twist the wires closkwise instead of counterclockwise as well...just in case they are considering putting wire nuts on [Linked Image]
Posted By: vlad_tepish Re: Classic Violation Revisited! - 12/10/05 12:45 PM
while rewiring my basement i found several lefty twisted wires in the lite boxes..also they must have had a sale on #10 romex because the whole basement is run with it.
Posted By: SolarPowered Re: Classic Violation Revisited! - 12/10/05 08:41 PM
...why are they twisted COUNTERCLOCKWISE ?

I think this pic is from Australia or New Zealand. I understand the water in the toilets there swirls backwards, too.
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Classic Violation Revisited! - 12/11/05 02:17 AM
Ryan,
It might be a good idea to twist the wires closkwise instead of counterclockwise as well...just in case they are considering putting wire nuts on
LOL, I hadn't ever thought about that fact before, we don't use wirenuts down here. [Linked Image]
The only guy I've ever seen twist the wires backwards (ie: CCW) was a left-handed guy I used to work with as an Apprentice.
It looked so awkward, the way he was using his pliers!. [Linked Image]
Solar-Powered,
I think this pic is from Australia or New Zealand. I understand the water in the toilets there swirls backwards, too.
Careful now, mind you, you'd be hard pressed to find Black, White and bare wires in the same box down in this part of the world.
Oh yes and by the way, the toilet pans we have down here don't hold enough water to generate a swirling effect.
They are what are known as wash-down pans, saves water though and at this time of the year here, that's really handy. [Linked Image]

{Message edited to remove a silly comment}

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 12-10-2005).]
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Classic Violation Revisited! - 12/11/05 06:05 AM
This is a picture I took during a Basement-Finishing project some years back. When I took the cover off the box at least one wirenut fell out. (That loose Black wire was with the others)

Bill

PS - most of the cables went to outlets the previous homeowner had installed, tapping off an existing P/C fixture no doubt. They were all removed and new circuits were run.

[This message has been edited by Bill Addiss (edited 12-11-2005).]
© ECN Electrical Forums