ECN Forum
Posted By: Joe Tedesco Is this a violation? - 06/10/05 10:54 PM
I feel that there is a NEC Code violation present here, a contractor installing a sewage pump station for the County I work for installed the pump cords, float switch cables, and transducer wiring as shown in the photo. They say that it meets Class I, Div. I hazard standards and wiring practice. I feel that the application violates NEC Code, and presents a trip hazard, and potential hazard to our collection system operators since these cords can carry 480 volts when the pump(s) are running.

Is this a violation?
[Linked Image]

Is there a specific code that would reference this installation?

Thanks to ECN for any help they can offer?
Posted By: luckyshadow Re: Is this a violation? - 06/10/05 11:33 PM
What type of cords are they? What are they rated?
Posted By: 67watts Re: Is this a violation? - 06/12/05 04:59 PM
The yellow cords are rated at 600v, I don't have any information on the insulation type at this time. The three back cords are SJOW and go to the intrinsically safe float switches. The blue cord is rated for submergence and goes to a intrinsically safe pressure transducer (1-5 vDC). My biggest concern was physical damage and a trip hazard, and was trying to pin point a specific code governing this installation. Thanks for any help you can offer.
Posted By: renosteinke Re: Is this a violation? - 06/12/05 05:27 PM
We're back to the old issue of needing to learn more than your trade.

The NEC certainly doesn't address the issues you raise.

OSHA guidelines are vague enough that I don't think there's a problem there either. The cords are not excessively long, nor do they cross into any marked (or obvious) walkway.

I'm not sure what you want the contractor to do, nor do I see another way to do this job.
If you're really worried that someone wil go out of their way to trip over these cords- with all that open area around them- or feel that the trained, certified professional technicians will not be smart enough to step around them, there are other issued as work here.

If it makes you feel better, cut a notch in a trash can and set it over them!
Posted By: 67watts Re: Is this a violation? - 06/12/05 07:12 PM
I've installed wastewater pumping stations for the last 15 years and have never seen a "Walt Disney" application like this one. Not only does it present an obvious trip hazard to the operators working around the wetwell, but is also subject to physical damage, and operator error. And after further review of the '05 NEC believe there are issues in 501.10(A)(2)& 501.140 & 504.30 that cover the installation.
Posted By: renosteinke Re: Is this a violation? - 06/13/05 01:27 AM
Thank you, 67. Could you maybe get a pic of a similar install, correctly done? For example, do you dig down alongside the basin, and enter from the side?
Posted By: BElder Re: Is this a violation? - 06/14/05 10:44 PM
Are these listed & marked for sunlight resistance 2002 NEC 310.8 (D)
Posted By: renosteinke Re: Is this a violation? - 06/15/05 03:25 AM
I have seen similar cables in similar applications, and they were listed for just about anything, including sunlight as well as direct burial. SEOW? Maybe.
Posted By: 67watts Re: Is this a violation? - 06/18/05 01:01 PM
The yellow cables are marked 600v rated, have the size and number of conductors, and simply say "water resistant". The float switches are SJOW, water resistant, and do not have a UV rating. This application failed it's inspection on the articles I previously listed,and on grounding and bonding of the junction box. The contractor is in the process off redoing many of these and other issues at this site, and may incur penalties from the County in addition.
Posted By: 67watts Re: Is this a violation? - 06/18/05 03:58 PM
https://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y231/m67/wetwelljunctionbox.jpg

Here is an example of a wetwell mounted junction box. The conduits from the wetwell into the junction box are compression sealed to prevent H2S gases from entering. It is done all in stainless, except for the rigid conduit. The intrinsically safe circuits are mounted in a seperate junction box on the back side (barely visable in the picture. The wetwell lid opens toward the panel. All wiring is protected and out of the way of the collection system operators. This is just one of many correct ways of doing the installation.
Posted By: renosteinke Re: Is this a violation? - 06/18/05 08:56 PM
Thanks for the pic, 67.
Posted By: Joe Tedesco Re: Is this a violation? - 06/19/05 03:40 AM
Here's a 2005 NEC Change

courtesy: www.nfpa.org

Does this allow the installation as shown in the first picture?

[Linked Image]
Posted By: 67watts Re: Is this a violation? - 06/19/05 01:17 PM
Joe,
The example shown looks like an application for a household sump pump in a basement or an application where the control panel or junction box is mounted to a wall. The original installation would have met the County requirements had the junction box been located directly over the cable enterance into the wetwell. Again they were primarily concerned with the physical damage, and from what I recall there was something in Article 400 in the '05 NEC that the County Inspector got them on regarding that. In the County we do have a couple of applications on wetwells where the junction box is mounted directly over sleeves entering the wetwell. There is 12-18" clearance (air gap) to meet class I div. I standards, and the strain relief bushings going into the junction box are corrosion resistant. The most common application we use has conduits entering through the side of the wetwell (2 for pump cords,1 for float switches, 1 for a transducer). The conduits are sealed with an O/Z Gedney style compression fitting where they enter the junction box. Most of our control panels are mounted away from the wetwell or in a building on site. Thanks for the graphic and additional info.

[This message has been edited by 67watts (edited 06-19-2005).]
Posted By: sccat Re: Is this a violation? - 06/25/05 08:01 AM
what's the difference between "Cable wiring requiring protection" and "sleeve for protection"
© ECN Electrical Forums