ECN Forum
Here is some of the work that was recently done at a Wal-Mart Super center in West Palm Beach, Florida.

The work was done by "out of the back of a truck type people" at $14.00 hour!!

The electrical contractor (from Orlando) was paying for an outside electrical inspection service!

The AHJ electrical inspector has no knowledge of this quality work done by this company!

[Linked Image from nachi.org]
What's wrong with it? At least they used zip ties to make it neat and appealing to the eye. [Linked Image]

Seriusly though, That looks horrible. I guess they didn't feel it was neccesary to connect the pipe to the can.

It also appears one of the grounds is phased black. Or is that a Black phased Green? It's kinda hard to tell on my CPU.

(If that's the kind of work being done out there, I'm gonna make a fortune!)

Philip
It's black with green tape. There are 2 more conduits, stubbed up through the bottom of the can. There's tape covering over them.
can't see the pic [Linked Image]
by stamcon posted 03-24-2004 09:24 PM It's black with green tape. There are 2 more conduits, stubbed up through the bottom of the can. There's tape covering over them

Maybe they were leaving room for future expansion? [Linked Image]

(Of course, without a "hard" connection,(like a locknut or listed connector) I suppose there's lots of room for expansion (and contraction)!)
Walmart Need you say more. Cheapest labor they can find!!!!!!!!
I live in West Palm Beach most electrical workers are a joke down here. The workers that are rentals which do stuff like this are an even bigger joke.
I think what you are seeing is a small part of a pre-manufactured electrical room. I believe all the new Wal-Marts use them. The room is built in a factory(usually in a couple sections) and then "dropped in by crane where the footprint of the electrical room is. The electricians work off of a cutsheet to know exactly where the panels and associated equipment will "fall" to allow for conduits to stub up in the appropriate panels. The "electrical room" is 80%-90% wired as far as subpanels and MCC's etc. off the main and all lighting and receptacles are piped and wired. All the electrician needs to do is bring power to the appropriate box and turn on the breaker.As you can see there are "windows" the the conduits need to hit. You can see in the picture that all the conduits were cutoff at a point and extentions where put on at a later date. They have to cut the holes for incoming conduits in the panels after the unit is dropped in place. I am not defending this install. They had the right idea but fell just slightly short in my opinion. They make a PVC bell bushing adapter for conduit entry that would have alleviated the problem we see here. End result is a neat install with a "wire-friendly" entrance to the panels.

[This message has been edited by elektrikguy (edited 04-25-2004).]
Sorry to post again but here is the link to the adapter that would work great in this situation. Scroll down to page 15 and look at the "Junction Box Adapter"
http://www.beckmfg.com/pricesheets/pvc082.pdf
© ECN Electrical Forums