ECN Forum
Huh?? 60 amp service with metal strapping holding breaker in place on block of wood.

[Linked Image from nachi.org]

Courtesy: Raymond Wand Home Inspection Service www.nachi.org
AHHH!!! When will the plumbers ever stop messing with our wiring?
Take a look at the grounding/neutral? Is this a service panel?

Pierre
That's outright criminal...
Might this little getup be a "retro-fit" where the breaker replaced a pony-cleat socket that was being used as a fuse holder? [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by SvenNYC (edited 03-22-2004).]
Thank goodness I'm not an inspector, because if I stumbled across this mess, I'd be so dumbfounded I wouldn't even know where to begin: "That's in violation of everything... just... just get rid of it."

-John

[This message has been edited by BigJohn (edited 03-22-2004).]
The character who did this is probably related to the same person who began using Lincoln Fuse Protectors. ARGGGHHH!!!!!
This panelboard is Amazing ....

[Linked Image]
Bill
BIG JOHN,
as an inspector one of my favorite replies is"i can't find anything right!hire a licensed electrical contractor and have him call for re-inspection" [Linked Image]
I think Thomas Edison himself wouldve busted a gut on this one.
Is that treated plywood? If not youll have to replace it for inspection
Judging by the insulation on the wires, I'm guessing that the CB is replacing a couple fuseholders that once occupied the same spot. I've seen an original 1920's installation that looked pretty similar to that.

Edited to add: I just noticed the "60 amp" part of the title. I betcha that there were originally 15 or 20 amp fuses there, and that that wire is #14 or 12.

[This message has been edited by SolarPowered (edited 07-07-2004).]
Well, at least since it is mounted on dry wood, there's not too much chance of a ground fault
Noticing that the screws holding the straps down are Robertson heads, Would this in some twisted way be a CSA installation maybe we're not familiar with down here? [Linked Image] [Linked Image] I'd think the metal strapping would be required to be bonded [Linked Image]

(ducking [Linked Image] )
-Randy
We have some real winners here!

I want to see the worst panelboard ever installed.

Can you show us one?

[Linked Image]
You're right. We have some real winners here. That wire in the 1st pic looks like the cloth-covered wiring from way back when, rather than the Romex. Is this suppose to be the 'joke-of-the-day' forum? Yikes!

[This message has been edited by lil suzi (edited 11-07-2004).]
I once saw pics of "power theft," where some old codger had tapped into the service (before the meter), and had free power to his space heaters for decades.....this was the kind of thing he had in his attic
© ECN Electrical Forums