ECN Forum
Posted By: Joe Tedesco How many code violations can you list? - 02/07/04 09:24 PM
Attached is a picture of a few junctions I found in an attic while troubleshooting a light that wouldn't work.
[Linked Image]
How many code violations can you list?

Photo By: Chris VanderWoude
Van's Electric, Inc.
Franklin, NC 28734
I don't know about any other codes, but neat and workmanlike is right out the window. [Linked Image]

SD
Posted By: SvenNYC Re: How many code violations can you list? - 02/09/04 05:14 PM
Splices should be enclosed in approved boxes.

I really hope that skinny wire isn't carrying 120 volts....it looks almost thin enough to be telephone or door-bell wire.... [Linked Image]

Also, it seems to me that that black conductor is 300-ohm twin-lead wire used for TV and FM radio antennas. Please tell me that stuff is NOT connected to the Romex!!! [Linked Image]

At least they used the proper tape for splices. Could have been worse -- either paper "masking" tape or duct tape.
Posted By: :andy: Re: How many code violations can you list? - 02/09/04 09:19 PM
is that dark area on the wood smoke from the splices layed down [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Posted By: cpalm1 Re: How many code violations can you list? - 02/10/04 12:30 AM
it looks like the grounds are snipped off
Posted By: Jps1006 Re: How many code violations can you list? - 02/10/04 02:23 AM
I count 28.
29 if Chris didn't bring that work light up with him.
Posted By: pauluk Re: How many code violations can you list? - 02/10/04 11:19 AM
It seems to a worldwide case of "Out of sight, out of mind, so it must be OK."

I've seen similar open splices in British attics quite regularly.
Posted By: jetlei98 Re: How many code violations can you list? - 02/18/04 02:11 AM
Looks a little like homeownered
Posted By: big guy Re: How many code violations can you list? - 02/24/04 09:15 PM
that is ok if its tempory work LOL
When I was house hunting in the 90's, my real estate agent showed me a house that had a couple things like this in the attic. "Don't worry about it!" If a housing inspector comes up here, I'd never get a mortgage because I could never get fire insurance. "Naw, it's OK. They don't look for stuff like this." Thanks, but I'm switching agents. BTW: They had also converted one of the smallest second floor bedrooms into a furnace room for central heat. The attic floor was an obstacle course of flexible ducting.
Posted By: djpep55 Re: How many code violations can you list? - 04/25/04 04:56 PM
There must be instructions for weekend warriors. I call it "twist & tape". It usually comes without wire nuts & often uses extension cords with the ends cut off!

Dave
© ECN Electrical Forums