ECN Forum
This was a cord and cap that was used to supply an electric coffee urn in a hotel, looks like the wire cracked!

Say again? Which way is up?

[Linked Image]
I don't think that the jacket has cracked. It appears that too much jacket was removed when the plug was intalled and the jacket was never under the clamp.
Don
It also looks like the red conductor in the wire either pulled out of its screw terminal inside the plug housing or snapped when someone yanked or tripped on it.

Hey, at least they're using a plug!

I saw a similar hi-amp "cordset" that was connected to a portable generator's socket. The conductor ends were thrust into the socket holes and held in place with wooden shish-kebob skewers. This was at a street fair with lots of food vendors.
Just maybe a 4 wire cord and a 3 wire plug?
Here's another view of the same cord. I know it was cracked, because I cracked it!

The cord was plugged in. I removed it and the cord was as dry as a pretzel!

Typical situation when the cord is installed with a bend for a long time under a load such as the electric coffee pot.

[Linked Image]
I'll bet the wire insulation on appliance end of the cord is crumbled, or will be when touched.

For the 50-ampere cord cap, the cord looks like its conductors are not equally rated.
© ECN Electrical Forums