ECN Forum
Posted By: Joe Tedesco Weather Proof Outdoor Lampholder - 09/16/03 07:04 AM
[Linked Image]

Interesting! Comments?
Posted By: electure Re: Weather Proof Outdoor Lampholder - 09/16/03 11:09 AM
The installer forgot to put a "weathershield" over the 4-S box!
Posted By: pauluk Re: Weather Proof Outdoor Lampholder - 09/16/03 11:16 AM
Did the guy who did this live someplace where it's never windy and the rain always falls dead vertical? [Linked Image]
Posted By: mamills Re: Weather Proof Outdoor Lampholder - 09/16/03 02:33 PM
looks to me like that romex needs to have a drip loop where it enters that fixture [Linked Image].

This is a very common sight in my part of the country. Unfortunately, as Paul mentioned, it rarely rains vertically here... [Linked Image]

Mike (mamills)
Posted By: SvenNYC Re: Weather Proof Outdoor Lampholder - 09/16/03 02:56 PM
All I can say is at least he didn't duct tape the fixture itself -- shades of Haymarket....

So how abraded is the NM where it's touching the edge of the tin?
Posted By: John Steinke Re: Weather Proof Outdoor Lampholder - 09/17/03 12:35 AM
At the risk of sounding silly, I have done ASTM "rain" tests for two testing organisations, and that piece of sheet metal might actually pass! (tests typically have little or no wind).
Posted By: ThinkGood Re: Weather Proof Outdoor Lampholder - 09/17/03 02:56 AM
What about acid rain?

That 4" box doesn't look so weather proof, either.
Posted By: SvenNYC Re: Weather Proof Outdoor Lampholder - 09/17/03 05:13 PM
Come to think of it...neither does the octagon "handibox" that I bet the guy used for the light fixture either!! [Linked Image]

Joe do you know if there is one of those octagons with the punch-outs?
Posted By: Joe Tedesco Re: Weather Proof Outdoor Lampholder - 09/17/03 05:57 PM
No, but I'll bet it is an octagon box with knockouts!

Maybe the bottom one is open?
Posted By: John Steinke Re: Weather Proof Outdoor Lampholder - 09/24/03 12:19 AM
This suggests the topic: should boxes, etc. protected by overhangs be of the outdoor type?
I have learned to make all my stuff outdoors of the "sealed" type; too many times I've had to open boxes that were filled with wasp nests- in one case, even a bird nest!
© ECN Electrical Forums