ECN Forum
Posted By: Joe Tedesco Exposed Live Wires on LA City Streets! - 02/04/03 11:51 PM
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

This is NOT OK and this is common along the streets of LA and in many other areas around the country!

[This message has been edited by Joe Tedesco (edited 02-05-2003).]
I know, it may be lack of maintenance, or no budget to fix these problems, but what if someone makes contact with these open exposed live wire?
Found this today!!!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: KurtR Re: Exposed Live Wires on LA City Streets! - 02/06/03 01:36 AM
Is that what I think it is in that last photo? A box with two duplex receptacles, with the bottom half in a puddle of muddy water? Surely that can't still be live, can it? Seems like a shock hazard, for sure.

-Kurt
KurtR

I didn't check to see if it was alive. It may become alive when the street lights come on.

I'll begin to carry my wiggy when on a "photo shoot"so I can find out if stuff like this is hot. The box is in a tree well in the mud!

[This message has been edited by Joe Tedesco (edited 02-06-2003).]
Posted By: wa2ise Re: Exposed Live Wires on LA City Streets! - 02/06/03 11:18 PM
Does the code require more support clamps
for conduit in places likely to be abused?
(Reffering to pix at the top of thus thread,
the broken conduit).
A few more supports wouldn't have cost that
much more.

Are there the max amount of wires in the
conduit on the right (above the yellow
paint area)?
Joe,how far did you have to walk to discover these goodies?
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Exposed Live Wires on LA City Streets! - 02/07/03 02:49 AM
Joe:
Instead of the Wiggy, why don't you carry a "non-contact" type tester. Ie: "Fluke" Volt Alert; 90-600 volts, and the size of a heavy pen. It's a little easier to carry!.
John
I walked about 3-4 blocks from my hotel to 7th, 8th and 9th streets off of Grand Avenue.
I'll check the Fluke out when I get home next week.

Bill: Do you stock this tester?
Posted By: electure Re: Exposed Live Wires on LA City Streets! - 02/07/03 01:45 PM
Joe, be careful where you stroll.
That's not the safest of neighborhoods!
(a few more blocks and it's Skid Row) [Linked Image]
electure

Thanks for the advice. I'm from New York City, and they too have skid rows, that's why I stay away from those areas after dark!

Here's another horror!!

[Linked Image]

PS: Yeh! I know --- what's the problem it's not even connected!!

Anyone need some spare breakers?
Posted By: Gus1999 Re: Exposed Live Wires on LA City Streets! - 02/08/03 12:03 AM
Well, those old Zinsco breakers are prooably worth something! Hard to get these days!

Joe. While you are in LA see if you can get on some of these soundstages where the most popular TV shows are shot. You would have a field day taking pictures of the violations.
How is this possible?

Reporting Code Violations without using “Code”
Posted By: rhiphi Re: Exposed Live Wires on LA City Streets! - 02/16/05 03:03 AM
First of all it looks like the box was hit by a car????
was that the exit of that ramp?
maybe the EC should have moved that box somewhere else. and used connectors that were'nt die cast
and yes more tapcons
Please continue!
© ECN Electrical Forums