ECN Forum
[Linked Image]

Rules in Article 300 and 314 can be discussed here. Which ones are they?
Posted By: Gwz Re: Expansion "Joints" and Extensions for a Box? - 01/19/03 03:21 PM
Assuming the lower opened box is for the viewing of the wiring for the picture and the flex contains an EGC , I do not see a violation.
See 314.22.

Since the Flex is for flexibility in this installation, It must have an EGC , 350.60.

An extension box could have been added to all of the flush mounted boxes and the LFMC could have connected to a KO in the side of the extension box(es), then the cover would have been ' just a cover'.

Looks like it could be a 'damp' location.
Now I've seen it all...a double-wide trailer house with concrete floor joists! ;-)
What is the location or this installatiion? What exactly is being wired here? I mainly do residential work and have never come across anything like this.
It looks like its fire alarm wiring, due to the FA written on the top of the cover. I am not sure if it is a local code or not but we had to spray paint all the box covers red for fire alarm work
Looks like a parking structure to me.

I would put money on water filling each of the LFMCs

Interesting use of Dry location covers with LFMC.

Looks shorter then 36", so no support 350.30 (A) Exc 2

The covers look like standard 4" round blanks which have a keyhole slot and a straight slot.

I think that is a violation of 314.22 Exception

"cover is designed so it is unlikely to fall off or be removed if it becomes loose"
I thought so too, because of the FA marked on the box.

This was taken at the Dallas Airport parking deck at street level, and I agree that it can be considered as a Damp Location.

I was looking for the rule that poined out that the attachment screws should not allow the cover to fall off as shown.

I did not remove the cover. I was also looking for the 3 inch rule beyond the edge of the ring to be considered whenever an extension ring is installed per 300.14.

I too agree that the best way to avoid a problem is to come out of the side of the extension box.
In my opinion, if this is a fire alarm circuit, painting the entire assembly (conduit and boxes) a bright red, like JCooper said, is much more effective than simply marking the box covers "FA."

The painters that will someday work on this ceiling (this is a ceiling, right?) will probably not even try to avoid painting over those box covers thereby covering up the "FA."
Other technicians in my company have been failed because they did not have red covers on the boxs, it also makes the service guy's life a bit easier because all FA splice boxes are rather easy to find. And the red covers keep those pesky electricians from snagging them.....
© ECN Electrical Forums