ECN Forum
Posted By: Joe Tedesco Is the tape listed for this use? - 10/18/02 12:12 PM
[Linked Image from themeterguy.com]

Duct tape was not available!
Posted By: txsparky Re: Is the tape listed for this use? - 10/18/02 02:13 PM
Wheres the Service cable? Inside the pole? Maybe the tape is temporary while he's gone to get his drill(yea right).

It is very common site around here to see the handhole covers on streetlighting poles taped on by the poco.(concrete poles)
Posted By: SvenNYC Re: Is the tape listed for this use? - 10/18/02 02:14 PM
Yikes!

I would say no.

Don't think electrical tape is that strong...and it probably won't stand up to the hot sun and the rain either.

Is the tape actually holding these boxes tight against the pole or just keeping the meter box cover closed?

--
sven
Posted By: mamills Re: Is the tape listed for this use? - 10/18/02 02:27 PM
Is this one of those "South of the Border" specials?

Mike (mamills)
Posted By: bobp Re: Is the tape listed for this use? - 10/18/02 02:53 PM
Whoever, did this should be severely chastised. I mean, after all, what self-respecting person would find themselves without duct tape.
Posted By: Joe Tedesco Re: Is the tape listed for this use? - 10/18/02 04:57 PM
I found this in Elmira, New York while exiting a small store area.

I was in a rented car and drove it from the airport nearby.

If someone in that area can take a look when they pass that area I would bet it is the same way.

I don't know why the tape was used? May have been to keep the cover on the meter socket enclosure.
Posted By: mamills Re: Is the tape listed for this use? - 10/18/02 06:13 PM
Joe:
Is the pole tilted at an angle in order to keep rain out of that load center/disco/whatever-it-is? [Linked Image] Looks kinda like a homebrew cover...(maybe that's the reason for the tape)

Mike (mamills)
Posted By: Sean WB Re: Is the tape listed for this use? - 10/18/02 08:42 PM
Is that a padlock on the service panel?? big no no. Must be accesible. I would like to know where the SE cable is [Linked Image] well I guess the tape would deem it inaccesible too [Linked Image] unless its that "jap-wrap" brand LOL

[This message has been edited by Sean WB (edited 10-18-2002).]
Posted By: Bjarney Re: Is the tape listed for this use? - 10/18/02 09:20 PM
Er, a literal plethora of tape colors are out there, including black. www.thetapeworks.com/398.htm
Posted By: sparky Re: Is the tape listed for this use? - 10/18/02 10:09 PM
I say use Red....

[Linked Image from thetapeworks.com]
Posted By: John Steinke Re: Is the tape listed for this use? - 10/22/02 11:40 PM
While I can't see the front of the panel, what this might be is a cover fron a rectangular duct held in place over an indoor panel, as a make-shift "outdoor" cover. Alternately, this might be a brand "a" face on a brand "b" panel.
© ECN Electrical Forums