ECN Forum
Posted By: Joe Tedesco How Not to Install "ROMEX" NM-B Cable! - 09/28/02 02:33 PM
There are a few violations here, and the code calls for protection from nails, screws. etc., when the cables pass through a stud where there is less than 1-1/4 inches from the edges of bored holes, and when they are run in parallel with the stud, joists, or rafters.

The staples are likley to cause damage because they appear to be driven with a sledge hammer!

I always recommend using "insulated" staples.

The two gang nonmetallic box may also be too small, and that will be the subject of another discussion here.

Please feel free to add your comments, they'll be in the interest of safety!

Reference 300.4

[This message has been edited by Joe Tedesco (edited 06-08-2004).]
Posted By: sparky Re: How Not to Install "ROMEX" NM-B Cable! - 09/30/02 01:26 AM
some nail plates & stackers might save this.

i cannot tell if the k'o's are 'captive' or not, i do see two in one ko there....

the 1-1/4" would also apply to the closest ko to wood, but that is probably being picky...

i'm all for insulated staples. there are many older homes with what is apparently a dry cellar here.
Yet these cellars are loose stone old world construction, and take on some moisture, rust the staples...i suspect that some are actually sucked in tighter as the seasons come and go...... [Linked Image]
Posted By: sparky Re: How Not to Install "ROMEX" NM-B Cable! - 09/30/02 10:37 AM
a few more picky observations...

i prefer to 'loop' , or rather purposely install some out of box slack. This depends on a captive or non-captivating ko, and there is allowable staple/hole/secure measurement to box ko allowed.

aslo, look at how the mark is top box. this is fine if the EC is using ALL the same boxes throughout, i just find that one style does not fit all.
so i use a plastic/ steel assortment, thus a center box measurement insures a consistency off AFF......

picky, picky, picky...
Posted By: Trainwire Re: How Not to Install "ROMEX" NM-B Cable! - 09/30/02 02:00 PM
looks like they drilled the hole using a carbide toothed gopher.

how long would it take to clean up the splinters?

Trainwire
Posted By: txsparky Re: How Not to Install "ROMEX" NM-B Cable! - 09/30/02 03:14 PM
LOL @ TRAINWIRE [Linked Image]
Seems more like a carbide toothed gopher punch rather than a drill, if you ask me. [Linked Image]
Doncha just mean a Beaver?

Side note:

A friend of mine is named John Beaver. He's a general/building contractor. He gave some homemade pork sausage to a friend once with his last name marked on the packaging. You could guess the "hilarity ensuing" after the friend's missus spots said meat package in the freezer with the word "Beaver" on it!

</threadjack>

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Trainwire Re: How Not to Install "ROMEX" NM-B Cable! - 10/01/02 03:07 PM
Sorry everybody, but I've always heard it as gopher. In this business, it comes from the old days, when they would make big holes is a sheet of steel, by running a whole lotta little holes together. I will see if I can get a pix of that.
Trainwire
© ECN Electrical Forums