ECN Forum
Posted By: Joe Tedesco Is there a shock hazard here! - 05/26/02 10:27 PM
[Linked Image from images.industryclick.com]

[This message has been edited by Joe Tedesco (edited 12-28-2002).]
Posted By: resqcapt19 Re: Is there a shock hazard here! - 05/30/02 02:37 PM
Joe,
Yes, we have to bond around this, but what about the plumber who is replacing the broken metal underground water pipe out in the yard. The NEC requirement to use the metal underground water piping system as a grounding electrode creates a serious safety hazard for the plumbers. Why should the NEC create this hazard for others?
Don(resqcapt19)
Posted By: Redsy Re: Is there a shock hazard here! - 05/30/02 03:40 PM
Does anyone know to what extent, if any, Plumbers are educated about the likelihood of metal piping carrying current, and what precautions are recommended to them?
Posted By: resqcapt19 Re: Is there a shock hazard here! - 05/30/02 05:04 PM
Redsy,
If we didn't make the water pipes current carrying conductors, they wouldn't have to be educated about this type of problem.
Don
Posted By: resqcapt19 Re: Is there a shock hazard here! - 05/31/02 03:03 AM
The hazard is aways there even without an open neutral problem. In a code compliant installation the metal under ground water pipe is in parallel with the grounded conductor. In some cases the water pipe has a lower impepedance then the service grounded conductor and carries more than half of the grounded conductor current.
Don(resqcapt19)

[This message has been edited by resqcapt19 (edited 05-31-2002).]
Posted By: resqcapt19 Re: Is there a shock hazard here! - 06/01/02 01:54 PM
Yes, it is if you take it apart while it is energized. The hazard I am talking about is when the unsuspecting plumber comes to work on the water pipe and takes it apart and gets between the two pieces of the pipe. This hazard exists under normal conditions in a code compliant installation where there is a metal underground water pipe system.
Under ground fault conditions, while the fault exists, there is a shock hazard between all conductive things that are bonded to the electrical grounding system and the "earth". This voltage between the bonded items and earth will be equal to the voltage drop on the EGC that is carrying the fault current. This voltage can be in the 40 to 50 volt range and even higher if the EGC is not of the correct size or not properly sized. This voltage will exist until the fault is cleard which should be within a very short time is the OCPD is correctly sized and functioning.
Don(resqcapt19)

[This message has been edited by resqcapt19 (edited 06-01-2002).]
Posted By: Gwz Re: Is there a shock hazard here! - 06/01/02 07:19 PM
I know of one installation where a 2W 1Ø 120V service to a dwelling, the Water Grounding Electrode Conductor (GEC) carried 2/3rds of the Grounded conductor current, ie. the grounded conductor between the Main Switch and the Utility Transformer across the street read about 8 Amps and the ungrounded Conductor read about 24 Amps and the Water GEC read about 16 Amps.

There was 8 Services off of the Transformer and this unit was the only 2W Service drop.

Even after a 3W service was installed, the water GEC still carried about 2/3 of the neutral current ( determined by turning "off" all of L1 then 'in turn' turning "off" all of L2 CB's) and reading the ungrounded conductor ampeage vs the grounded conductor amperage.

Do not know status of the other services on that transformer.

The City choose not to do a follow-up on why.
Posted By: resqcapt19 Re: Is there a shock hazard here! - 06/01/02 10:45 PM
Al,
The water pipe is always a hazard, not only when there is a fault, but always. It can even be a hazard when the main for the building is off. It is being used to carry part of the grounded conductor current and in some cases a majority of that current. Any time the pipe is "opened" and you touch both sides, you become part of the circuit. Look at what the code requires. It says we must bond the grounded conductor to the metal underground water piping system, and so does your neighbor. If you have a 100 amp service with a long service drop and next door has a larger service with a shorter service drop and both homes are on a city under ground water system, the path via the water pipe to next door and then to the transformer may have a much lower impedance then your service drop grounded conductor. The grounded conductor current will be split between these two paths. The amount on each path will be determined by the impedance of the two paths with the most current on the path with the least impedance.
As far as the touch voltage at the time of a fault, it exists on everything that is bonded to the electrical system grounding system. The most touch potential will appear on the enclosure where the fault occurs, but the voltage drop on the grounded conductor between the main bonding jumper and the utility transformer will appear on everything that is connected to the electrical grounding system. This could still be a high enough voltage to cause serious harm. Fortunately this voltage to ground only exists as long as the fault exists. In a properly designed, installed and maintained system the fault should only exist for a very short time.
Don
Posted By: ElectricAL Re: Is there a shock hazard here! - 06/01/02 11:12 PM
Don,

I gotta draw some pictures. Give me a little bit to get them up, for everyones consideration.

I sure do enjoy these discussions! Joe, Bill, Scott and all who are responsable, I don't think you can be thanked enough for making this possible!!! [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Al
Posted By: ameterguy Re: Is there a shock hazard here! - 06/02/02 01:33 AM
The water pipe jumper is an easy thing to identify as missing, the plumbers need to be even more careful where opening gas lines. We had an instance where a gas line was carrying 6 - 8 amps of neutral current. The gas technician shut off the up stream valve, and when he broke the connection, the arc ignited the residual natural gas. This burned the hair off both his arms, he was very lucky. we found the neutral connection at the weatherhead had failed & the gas pipe was acting as the house neutral. (The water dept had experimenting with PVC & this house had a pvc water pipe from the street to just outside the cellar.)There was no driven grounds as the service was 30 - 40 years old.
Posted By: pauluk Re: Is there a shock hazard here! - 06/02/02 10:55 AM
Maybe plumbers should be educated to install a temporary bonding jumper when opening a water or gas line?
Posted By: resqcapt19 Re: Is there a shock hazard here! - 06/02/02 04:11 PM
As far as the gas pipe is concerned, in this area the gas utility has always installed a dielectric fitting on the street side of their meter. The code does not now permit the underground gas piping to be used as a grounding electrode so there should be no current flow on the outside gas piping. The interior gas piping is required to be bonded, but this also shouldn't create a flow of current. However in older systems, the underground gas pipe may have been used as a grounding electrode. This was permitted by the NEC up until the 93 code, but only with the permission of the gas utility. The local gas utility never permitted this.
Don(resqcapt19)
Posted By: resqcapt19 Re: Is there a shock hazard here! - 06/02/02 04:15 PM
Al,
After more thought the current flow through the underground water pipe does not always present a serious problem for the plumber. When the water pipe is opened with current flow the grounded conductor current will revert to its intended path, the service grounded conductor. The only voltage that should be on the water pipe at that time would be equal to the voltage drop on the service grounded conductor. Of course, this all changes if either your grounded conductor or your neighbor's grounded conductor has a high resistance connection.
Don(resqcapt19)
Posted By: resqcapt19 Re: Is there a shock hazard here! - 06/02/02 04:17 PM
Paul,
I am aware of some plumbers who do exactly that, but why should one trade be permitted (required) to intentionally create a possible hazard for other trades.
Don(resqcapt19)
Posted By: Steve T Re: Is there a shock hazard here! - 06/08/02 02:29 AM
I have heard more than one story of local plumbers getting shocked or tingles when replacing kitchen faucets or doing other local plumbing work. Sometimes because of the location of other utility grounds (phone, cable) sometimes from the use of dielectric fittings in plumbing systems and combinations of other things. Proper bonding of water systems is vital. I personally saw a house with the neutral/tension wire snapped with 120 volt loads during construction. The only thing left was the ground to the water pipe on the old panel which was temped in from a new service panel.

There are hundreds of different possible arrangements of electrical hazards and water systems (and gas, duct, gutter, siding, anything conductive, etc.) and all trades should be made aware of recognizing possible hazards.

I saw a ground connection for a satellite system hooked up to the non metallic seal-tite feed for an air conditioner.

I'm not sure anything but the death penalty would limit poor installtions. Even then I'm wouldn't bet on it.

Be careful out there. Don't trust anyone else's installations.
Posted By: Joe Tedesco Re: Is there a shock hazard here! - 09/26/02 12:17 PM
Be careful out there. Don't trust anyone else's installations.

You can say that again Steve!
Posted By: tdhorne Re: Is there a shock hazard here! - 10/28/02 01:45 PM
resqcapt19
What remedy do you propose. If we do not use the underground metallic water piping as a grounding electrode we still have to bond the interior metal piping systems to the grounded conductor at the service. To eliminate the common neutral pathway over the public water systems dialetric unions or insulating pipe segments would have to be added to all the service laterals into homes. In the absence of underground water pipe electrodes many buildings would have no effective grounding electrode.

I suppose we could all buy heavy SDS hammer drills and ground rod cups with which we will drive sectional ten foot rods with spline couplers.
--
Tom
© ECN Electrical Forums