ECN Forum
Posted By: Joe Tedesco Recent Rewiring Job? - 03/10/02 02:14 PM
[Linked Image]

What can you find wrong here?

Recent rewiring job in Orlando, Florida

[This message has been edited by Joe Tedesco (edited 08-17-2002).]
Posted By: 3rd degree Burns Re: Recent Rewiring Job? - 03/12/02 04:38 AM
It looks like the corroded box is outside or has been (or is) in a wet location...no cover. Furthermore, it probably isn't grounded, although it's hard to tell from the picture. What immediately jumps out at me though, is the single conductor (besides the ground) emerging from the left-most conduit. A real no no.
Posted By: 3rd degree Burns Re: Recent Rewiring Job? - 03/12/02 04:41 AM
On closer examination of the picture, I DO see an additional black wire ....so nevermind about the single conductor.
Posted By: Joe Tedesco Re: Recent Rewiring Job? - 03/12/02 10:12 PM
This junction box was in a damp location that was actually about 75 feet away from the open area outside. It was located near the pool, and the hot humid weather in Florida could have added to the misery and corrosion here.
Posted By: harold endean Re: Recent Rewiring Job? - 03/17/02 02:44 AM
Joe,

In NJ the electrical inspector has to look at every public pool each years for visable violations before a pool can open. Plus the public pool needs a pool bonding and grounding inspection certificate that is good for 5 years. If the public pool does not get them than they can not open up their pools for that year.

Harold
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Recent Rewiring Job? - 03/24/02 06:14 AM
Harold,

What kind of testing is done to validate the bonding? I mean, what is the procedure, do you know?

Bill
Posted By: klein man Re: Recent Rewiring Job? - 03/28/02 02:34 AM
This is horrible, I've seen this many times. I used to work at a car wash and all the boxes were so rusted and the outlets were rusted to. The whole wash was always wet inside, and only one outlet was GFCI protected. It was sad.
Posted By: Z-diddy Re: Recent Rewiring Job? - 03/28/02 10:49 PM
Hello, I am new to the fourm but visit it often. Besides the box being rusty another problem is the way they tied all the neutrals together on those multi-wire circuits.
Posted By: cactus Re: Recent Rewiring Job? - 05/03/02 04:53 PM
I always get confused when I see all of the neutrals under one wirenut. It appears there are multiple circuits.
Posted By: harold endean Re: Recent Rewiring Job? - 05/04/02 01:07 AM
Bill,

In NJ you have to get a bonding and grounding test done every five years. The contractor who does this has a special meter that has to be checked by the state for accuracy. He then will test from point to point to measue an resisitence of 25 ohms or less. ( I believe.) Then he will issue a certificate. I as an inspector just have to do a visual once a year. I look to see that all pool equipment looks in good shape. ( No loose connectors or bonding wires, new motors etc.)
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Recent Rewiring Job? - 05/04/02 01:30 AM
Harold,

You're talking about Public/Commercial Pools, Right?
Or do private, residential pools have to be tested periodically too?

Bill
Posted By: hurk27 Re: Recent Rewiring Job? - 05/19/02 05:39 AM
do I see 3 or 4 circuits being fed by only 2 neutrals that are tied together?
Posted By: SvenNYC Re: Recent Rewiring Job? - 08/19/02 03:33 PM
Also, isn't that box a bit too overcrowded?

--
sven
Posted By: harold endean Re: Recent Rewiring Job? - 08/26/02 01:01 AM
Bill,

Sorry about not getting back. I forget where all my posts are. In NJ only the public pools get inspected visually once a year and the bonding/grounding test is given every 5 years.

Harold
Posted By: Bjarney Re: Recent Rewiring Job? - 08/26/02 05:30 PM
The enclosure’s chain indicates that it probably is the remains of a NEMA 12/13-enclosure, a/k/a “JIC” [Joint Industry Conference] can—a far cry from a NEMA 4X rating for the corrosive conditions. Sickening at any rate, and surely a misapplication the instant it left the supply-house counter.

[This message has been edited by Bjarney (edited 08-26-2002).]
© ECN Electrical Forums