ECN Forum
Posted By: twh Angle of Conduit Entering an Enclosure - 06/04/16 05:47 AM
I can't find the rule about the angle at which a conduit can enter a box through a KO. Is there one? It might have something to do with the need for a ground bushing because too much angle lifts one side of the lock nut (and connector) off the surface of the box.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Angle of Conduit Entering an Enclosure - 06/04/16 04:56 PM
Off the top of my head, I can't put a specific NEC Article on it, except 110.12 regarding mechanical execution of work.

However, this Article is basically unenforceable as it is 'subjective' as to "neat and workmanlike manner".

Your comment regarding the connector/locknut not being flush with the KO goes back to NEC Art 250 and a 'stretch' would be NEC Article 110.3 (B): re. mfg install instructions.

Posted By: ghost307 Re: Angle of Conduit Entering an Enclosure - 06/06/16 02:35 PM
I'm not aware of anything beyond 'neat and workmanlike manner".
Posted By: twh Re: Angle of Conduit Entering an Enclosure - 06/06/16 03:52 PM
I thought it was a Canadian code or in a provincial supplement.
Posted By: brsele Re: Angle of Conduit Entering an Enclosure - 06/08/16 05:54 PM
Originally Posted by twh
I can't find the rule about the angle at which a conduit can enter a box through a KO. Is there one? It might have something to do with the need for a ground bushing because too much angle lifts one side of the lock nut (and connector) off the surface of the box.

12-1008 requires at least 3 complete threads.

I would think that you're limited to going straight in.
Any bends would be made outside of the box.
Posted By: dougwells Re: Angle of Conduit Entering an Enclosure - 06/11/16 10:53 PM
I would really want to use a reducing washers but that really wont give you enough threads,#2/3 acwu i need to use a 3/4 throat wet connector into a meter base and I seem to feel more comfortable to use the reducing washers on the larger Ko;s on MB
© ECN Electrical Forums