ECN Forum
Posted By: bigpapa Attachment point for residential service - 10/30/14 05:46 AM
Why do they sell these?
Can you use one of the knobs with the lag screw on the back or as I interpret the code, a long bolt through structural wood with a nut/washer on the back.

Incoming overhead cable is about 40ft. 6-112(6) says bolted but is a lag screw considered a bolt?

Im upgrading a 100A to 200A and don't want to rip the wall open unless absolutely necessary. I know the lag type insulator would hold but if they are not allowed by code, why do all the suppliers have lots on the shelves?

Posted By: Tesla Re: Attachment point for residential service - 10/30/14 06:08 AM
They are traditional for overhead runs between house and barn... and much else... on the customer's side of the meter.

The NEC does not cover Poco rules.

And the Poco rules dictate everything from the Service back up the line towards their distribution drop.

Locations
Hardware
Conductors
Clearances

This is one area where a j-man has to make both inspectors happy. (County inspector & Poco inspector)

Out my way, the Pocos reject all manner of gear that qualifies by the standards of the NEC. (EUSERC)

Posted By: bigpapa Re: Attachment point for residential service - 10/30/14 06:24 AM
Anybody here from BC Canada? Guess I will call the BCSA inspector about this.
For a 200 amp service, you will need the bolt through, At one time our inspector said that if the service was 100 amps and a short run to the pole they would accept the screw in type.
Posted By: brsele Re: Attachment point for residential service - 10/30/14 10:33 PM
So in BC, do you really have to rip open the wall in a house when doing a 100A to 200A upgrade? (Obviously we're only talking about houses with an overhead service supply.)

I'm just curious.
Yes external masts have to be a bolt through securing method . attached in 3 places and the most highest clamp secured to a rafter frown
Posted By: bigpapa Re: Attachment point for residential service - 11/01/14 06:41 AM
I talked to the inspector this morning and he confirmed that bolted through is all that is accepted for 100A or 200A incoming cable attachment point.
© ECN Electrical Forums