ECN Forum
Posted By: kytsurfer small conveyor start/stop - 10/05/10 07:06 PM
Just wondering, We are building a small bench top system with a basic start stop conveyor (maybe 2 ft long and only a few inches high).
I had spec'd out a stop start button and relay but our engineer would rather just use a selector switch (motor has its own built in over loads and everything- just requires 120V)
Is this okay to do and do i need to have an e-stop on the system?

Thanks
Posted By: LarryC Re: small conveyor start/stop - 10/06/10 05:49 PM
DISCLAIMER: I am not in Canada. Nor am I a licensed Electrician.

It is my understanding that if there is potential to cause physical harm, then you need an E-Stop. Can this conveyor damage a finger if it gets caught in the conveyor? Is this in a Commercial or Industrial environment? Does it need safety guards? Is it interlocked with another piece of equipment?

If any of those questions are answered with a yes, I would suspect that the relay with Start/Stop and E-Stop switches is probably a good idea.
Posted By: mikesh Re: small conveyor start/stop - 10/21/10 05:38 PM
If the condition larry describes are true than 3 wire low voltage release (protection) is required. Ie if in a power failure the motor will not restart without someone pushing a start button. This is a common protection scheme for saws and planers.

Answer the workman's compensation question first. It can save your home and assets.
© ECN Electrical Forums