ECN Forum
Posted By: dougwells Bathroom Fan - 08/18/07 05:50 PM
I get calls from customers that dont like there bathroom fans running 24/7

I dont do new construction so I am not aware of what the norm is for these .

I know they can be interlocked with the furnace fan
or just hooked up to a lighting circuit and no switch
or a timer installed in the bathroom where the fan must run 8 hours in a 24 hour period.

would spec homes just be hooked into a live circuit and left running 24/7?

customers calls to complain and I have to tell them that we just cant have a switch installed as it isn't compliant with the building code.

Why do people repluse when i mention I need a permit to alter anywiring in a home.

then they call some handyman from the newspaper or were ever.

Posted By: Sixer Re: Bathroom Fan - 08/18/07 11:56 PM
Doug our code states for new homes that one fan (must be low sone) be interlocked with the furnace fan. A timer is set up by the furnace, where it will turn on both the fan and furnace fan (at low speed) twice a day for 4 hours each time. Other fans can just be hooked up to a switch. Check your local building codes.

They used to wire them using a dehumidistat but that was changed a few years ago. Never heard of a fan being connected directly with no switch. Look around for a dehumidistat - they were usually placed in a hallway outside the bathroom.

As for permits for every job, it's just a cash grab by the BC Safety Authority.....which is supposedly "NON PROFIT" (cough - bs - cough). I guess what they want is handymen doing the smaller jobs.....forcing us to take permits out for every job no matter how small is causing just that.
Posted By: jay8 Re: Bathroom Fan - 08/19/07 02:27 AM
I agree - by having a TQ should give you enough credentials to do work up to a certain job cost without a permit, but if the homeowner wants to let joe fix-it do wiring then dont walk, RUN away from that customer.

By the way sixer, what jurisdiction are you in? You mention BCSA, my area, but I havent heard about the furnace interlock.
Posted By: Sixer Re: Bathroom Fan - 08/19/07 04:10 AM
Kootenays here. The furnace interlock is a local building code issue, not electrical code.
© ECN Electrical Forums