ECN Forum
Posted By: Check Pilot Panel Directories - 08/05/06 02:51 AM
I'm wondering how many other folks out there run into panelboards that are not marked properly for circuit identification? I know that the requirement was not enforced very much 25 or 30 years ago here in Edmonton to the same standard as today. I have done upgrades in the last couple of months where the AHJ red-tagged my work because I had not ID'd the old work on the panelboard that was done, not by me, in one case, over 30 years ago and another one that was built in 1978 and had had no further work on the elecrical system since that time. I got two red tags because they were both issued the same day before I knew about the first one that day. They were both issued by the same Inspector, whom I know very well and get along with very well (even now). His interpretation of the CEC was the first time I ran into this situation since I had either not made a note of just what was on the directory or there is sudden change of direction the AHJ's are taking.

I did go back to a couple of other jobs I did in the past and in both cases, the panels did not have adequate directories as per the CEC, but had passed the inspection. (And yes I did take the time to correct it before I left).

I think I can understand the AHJ's reasons and I have taken the time to trace everything since I got the second red tag (I hate having to go back to fix stuff I have screwed up), but the customers are complaining about it because of the additional time I have to put in the contract to carry out all the running around getting all the outlets identified.

Has anyone else run into this and if so, how did you handle it?

Thanks,
Dave
Posted By: watts Re: Panel Directories - 08/06/06 02:36 PM
Yeah here got a "k" form for not marking 2 breaker spaces in the panel and had to search the house to see just what they were for. I have not see a panelboard marked correctly ever. Just don't take the word thats on the label because 9 times out of 10 it's not the right circuit. Years ago i think as long as you made an attemp to mark them it was all right. But hey it's in the publics best interest to have the correct labels as per curcuits used.
© ECN Electrical Forums