ECN Forum
Posted By: Cinner Fluorescent fixture as a JB... - 08/04/06 01:00 AM
Can you use the fixturw as a JB or does the splice have to be done in a box?

What code rule?
Posted By: frank Re: Fluorescent fixture as a JB... - 08/04/06 01:12 AM
I daisy chain them all the time.I would never use it as a j-box to feed more than one fixture nor would i feed a receptical from one if i can help it.Lighting and recepticals can be fed from the same circuit however.You want rule 30-310 as there are restrictions some you can some you can't.I would just try to keep it professional looking and think about the next guy who works on it as it may be me.
cheers

[This message has been edited by frank (edited 08-03-2006).]
Posted By: mikesh Re: Fluorescent fixture as a JB... - 08/04/06 03:37 PM
I don't think so. 30-310 gives the rules for row mounting. In general a light fixture not a jb. Flourescent lights may be used a raceways for connection to the next fixture when row mounted when marked for continuous row mounting but you could not use a fixture as a JB to say go to a switch and a receptacle. You could for example install a box and make your splices and cover the box with a fixture approved for such but you could not just use the KOs in the back of a flourescent fixture and drop in a feed in a feed out and a switch drop.
Part of these rules are also in part 2 of the code which we as installers don't refer to but the manufacturers do. Rarely, some fixtures have integral JBs.
© ECN Electrical Forums