ECN Forum
Posted By: Sparkee Questions on IP exam +exambank/learning pit - 02/08/06 08:21 AM
Hi,

Just wondering what books you would recomend for the IP exam?
Is there a building code that you have to be familar with as well for the test?

I have been doing alot of code questions (exambank/learning pit/bc electrician and some test books)
I have found a few on the learning pit seem to be from the 98 code...does anyone know which code they were based on?
EG http://www.thelearningpit.com/quiz/doQuiz.asp?TB=TB3&ID=AEN_Code_Asg6
4: Where a portable lampholder is used in a wood working shop does it have to have a guard on it? a yes b no Question 4 Correct Answer = (a) = 30-616 (3) or 30-320 yes

Couldn't find 30-616 (3) in either 98 or 02 , 30-320 refers to luminaire height in the 98 code and luminaires in damp locations in the 02 code

5: What is the minimum distance from a recessed pot light in a house to a wood joist? a 10mm b 10.5mm c 12mm d 12.5mm e none of the above
Question 5 Correct Answer = (d) = 30-308 (1) 12.5 mm
98 code

6: Can all pot lights be blanketed with thermal insulation? a yes b no
Question 6 Correct Answer = (b) = 30-308 (4) no unless approved
98 code

I have a few problems with exambank as well, I bought one test online and answers didn't seem to line up with the rules
There was even one question what is the average voltage on a 208V supply and the answer sheet was 0V :S (they only have the letter that refers to the question)
Some of this stuff is getting me a bit worried!
The hardest thing for me is I can't access anyone easily as I am in Australia!

One of the big worries is questions that ask something like
Can Aluminum boxes be used in concrete yes or no
when is states they may not be used in concrete unless it has no chlorine additives or the box is treated with an anti corrosive base
Is this a yes/unless or a no/but answer..there are quite a few of these type rules...how are they correctly interpreted?

When a new code book comes out if any changes happen between the new edition , how does this get implimented or added to the code
Is there a chance there may be questions on the IP that may have these new additions (if there are some?)

Personally when you went for your IP test , how easy was it for you?
If I remember correctly it is 3hrs long , did you complete the questions comfortably in this time?
Did you have to check the code for much or where alot of rules fresh in your mind from familarity?

Also how often do you need to renew your licence in Canada?
Do you have to redo any exams apon renewal?

Sorry for so many questions but I really want to pass this test with flying colours!

Thanks!

[This message has been edited by Sparkee (edited 02-08-2006).]
The IPT training manual by Herb Putz and The Electrical Code Simplified by Knight were the only books that i found to be usefully when i wrote in 2001.In fact some of exam questions were from the the IPT manual and and the ECS will teach you how to rationalize the code.Other than that calling your counselor and asking what to buy is your best bet.
cheers

[This message has been edited by frank (edited 02-08-2006).]
Sparkee: The "Red Seal"/"Inter Provincial (I.P.)" program only applies to journeymen from from one province in Canada who are wishing to transfer to another province in Canada. It does not apply to people that are moving here from another country. For more information go to www.tradesecrets.org and www.red-seal.ca . As far as which code book is applicable (98,02 or 06) the correct code book is provided when you write the exam. The I.P. exam was extremly hard, I had to consult the code book on every code question. There were no typos or incorrect rule references when I wrote the exam. Good Luck, a J-man ticket lasts a lifetime here.

[This message has been edited by crash (edited 02-08-2006).]

[This message has been edited by crash (edited 02-08-2006).]
Thanks guys!

Well I did a search of the forum and found that the learning pit was from the 98 code
so that is a bit of a relief.

I got this Electrical self assessment tool as well in the mail ..I know someone said there were a few mistakes but every bit will help! http://www.csa-intl.org/onlinestore/GetCatalogItemDetails.asp?mat=000000000002017785

Crash, I contacted industry training in Vancouver and they had to look at my past qualifications and then said I had to sit the IP test, I am hoping this is all I will need as thats all they advised me.

I still have to apply for a visa but I fugured my chances would be much higher if I have passed the IP first.

I Australia we need to renew every 4 years if I remember correctly varying from state. We just have to do an exam on the MEN system.
When I wrote for my ticket I found it to be a difficult exam. There were questions from all areas of the code book. Some I knew right away but I did look up the majority of them. Thats why I liked the learning pit(LP) to study from. The LP is based on the 98 code book and there have been many changes since.I liked the way the questions were asked. By doing the basic to advanced questions it will help you get used to finding anything you need in the code book. From the more used sections to the ones you would rarely look at. There are many mistakes in the questions from the LP but disregard them because if you know that they are mistakes then you must know the right answer. On the IP exam they also ask you questions that are not in the code and they also ask drawing questions. The majority are in the code book though. I found it one on the more difficult exams I ever wrote, I'm not sure if it was because of the content or because of how important the exam was. I was very happy to see that it wasn't really easy so anyone could get their electrical license though. When you study make sure you know the changes. The 06 code book has a bunch of them.
© ECN Electrical Forums