ECN Forum
Why switches,panel should be mounted on a piece of fireproof wood when against concrete or brick wall?

I can not find any related requirements in the code.

Can somebody help me?

Appreciate your answers,thanks.
The salts found in concrete, and its ability to wick moisture will corrode the panel. I recall a discussion about this issue in 2nd-year school. I can't find anything in the CEC book though.

The 'fireproof' requirement may be referenced better in the Building Code. I have seen fire-resistant and painted regular plywood used for the purpose (perhaps fire rated paint satisfies the requirement?)
We use plain plywood when mounting our stuff to concrete. No special treatments required. A few years ago, they required drywall in between the panel/switch and plywood, but last few years they eliminated that rule as the panels and switches are "enclosed" and supposed to suppress any fire. Hey, I don't write the codes, good enough for me.
Interesting,we never use anything in industry.Bolt everything directly to concrete or block.To be honest Ive never looked for it in the code.Is it a damp location issue.The only time Ive seen wood is to have something to screw to for phone equipment etc.In not saying you don't need it.i just want to know the circumstances and where its applicable.Code rule # anyone
cheers
Frank...yes, to clarify, for individual switches, we bolt directly to concrete/block. But typically, when we do a service from scratch, with main switches, mb, splitter, panels, etc. I like to use 1 or several 4x8 sheets of plywood. So much easier/faster screwing into wood.
I have always used plywood to mount equipment wherever I am also using loomex to
wire (resi mostly). I work industrial now and it is the same as what Frank stated,everything straight on to the concrete or block.I have never taken fireproofing into consideration and have never had a violation for doing it this way.
Who knows maybe I have been missing something but I can't check for code rules as I am in a hotel in Winnipeg with no code book.(What was I thinking..lol)
Speaking of Code Books when are they going to stop going up in price. The 2006 edition is going to be 135.00

And what they want for it on Disk is Just a money grab IMHO the last one was 295.00.
If a person buys the Code Book there should be a deal for the CD

[This message has been edited by dougwells (edited 12-28-2005).]
At 135 bucks they should include a cd with the code book!
I guess it is a rule from the Canadian Building Code.I am not sure.

I realy want to see somebody clear this fuzzy wood,and tell us in what circumstance this fireproof wood must be installed.
295?!
I am thinking of buying PART I and PART II,so I have to pay maybe 500 bucks for these books?

[This message has been edited by peterpang (edited 12-28-2005).]
Checked with the older guys at the shop.Seems they remember the 3/4" dry wall fire stop was dropped by the building code in 1989 like Sandro said.I have no idea what i was thinking obviously you need the plywood when you have all that stuff to put next to the panel loomex , doorbell xformer cable and phone.Generally we try to stay away from wood at our plant because it's a noncombustible building.It's not illegal just not ideal in our application.Also we take the CCS update course when the new code book comes out.You get two code books.One regular code book and another that rationalizes the the new rules.I have to say The ESA Continuing Care Service is the best idea they've ever had You always get the same inspector.And they seem to have an(we're in this together attitude)
cheers

[This message has been edited by frank (edited 12-29-2005).]
I decided to order the CD from Crown Publications
hope i have fun with it
Who is telling you that switches and panels should be mounted on fireproof wood when installed on a concrete surface? Also you write "should" instead of "must". That in itself may be indicative of why you can't find anything in the code book. I always install plywood behind residntial service panels to facilitate the strapping of the romex.
Most resi panels are 14.5" wide...the exact spacing between studs. By design, they're meant to be mounted directly to wood.
© ECN Electrical Forums