ECN Forum
Posted By: Navyguy Service Change?? - 11/25/05 03:36 PM
Hi all

I have some questions that I would like to pose to the group.

The situation is that I have been asked to redo an existing service. I have not done a multi res service in about 15 years, hence the questions. I am also not keen on doing this, but it is one of those things that I really can't say no to (friends/family).

Currently it is a single service on a house that they want to split into three services, Apt 1, Apt 2 and house service. They have a 100A now with one fuse panel and one breaker panel, both rated at 100A. (I won’t get into that mess either!!!).

Everything is gas pretty much. No special things like tubs/pools or anything like that.

I am familiar with doing load calcs and also the installation, so my questions are really about policy or practices.

Question #1

When doing the load calc is this a single family home or and apartment building? In theory I am guessing Apt, because I suppose you could have three demands of stove, dryer, a/c etc, however like I said everything is gas and there is not even a dryer or stove plugs installed. Please confirm that it is an apt calc.

Question #2

My plan would be to put three new breaker panels in, however in the spirit of frugality (if that is even a word!) I will be asked if I can make use of the existing 100A stuff. My thoughts on this are, if I can, how do I prove to the inspector that I just did not take this stuff from the dump and slam it in there?

Question #3

If the existing breaker panel is deceit, will I still need to replace the breakers to the new standard ones?

Question #4

Can I actually re-install the old fuse panel?

Question #5

Does anybody have any thoughts on just leaving the existing stuff and just installing a new 2 gang service? I think it would look ugly and not what I would do to my house, but it might also save a few dollars and that seems to be a factor here.

Just in case you hadn’t looked at my profile, I am from Ontario.

Depending on how this goes, I may even have a few before and after pics!!

Thank-you in advance for your suggestions and comments.

Cheers

[This message has been edited by Navyguy (edited 11-25-2005).]
Posted By: dougwells Re: Service Change?? - 11/25/05 04:50 PM
Hi Navy Guy
I am in British Columbia, Don't have a bunch of time this morning but i thought i would at least mention the important things.
Each Apt needs to have its own breaker panel with a main breaker, that being said i am not sure it this was a conversion from being a whole house at one time. Any how every circuit must be ran to the corresponding panel . so if theres lights or plugs that are on the same circuit in both apartments they will have to get split up.
Posted By: Navyguy Re: Service Change?? - 11/25/05 11:12 PM
Hi Doug

Thanks for the comment. Although I have yet to take a detailed look at this, it is my understanding that is why there has been two panels put in. This was a past attempt to separate the two different units. I have to admit I have not actually ran around with a meter to check the branch circuits to see that they have been separated properly. I am sure there will need to be some work there also.

Both the existing panels have a 100A main. The fuse panel has a breakered main and then the branch circuits are fuses and the old breaker panel is one of the first BE type panel that came out many, many years ago. Hence my earlier comment regarding the mess that I did not want to comment about!

Thanks again for your comment Doug.

Cheers
Posted By: dougwells Re: Service Change?? - 11/27/05 12:34 AM
I have to run out for the evening but i will try and post here tomorrow.I should look more closely at the topic but its there going to be just one Meter or two.
Posted By: Navyguy Re: Service Change?? - 11/27/05 11:33 PM
Hi Doug

Currently there is one meter (100A service), the goal is to put three meters in, one for Apt #1, one for Apt #2 and one for a "House Panel".

With out doing the calc I am hoping that I can use three 60A BE breaker panels fed from a three gang meterbase.

Cheers
Posted By: Navyguy Re: Service Change?? - 11/27/05 11:37 PM
I also just wanted to publicly acknowledge the assistance I got in a PM from Dave Warren.

Thanks Dave

Cheers
Posted By: dougwells Re: Service Change?? - 12/04/05 02:58 AM
I glad you got some help. here in BC 60 amp is by Code but the insurance companies seem to have an issue with less than 100 amp services
Posted By: jay8 Re: Service Change?? - 01/20/06 05:32 AM
I am not sure if you got the answers you needed but here is my two cents worth. Why mess with the old junk? You get a combo panel with breakers for under 200.00,no worry about k/o fillers or your work looking mickey mouse. I have never seen a single family dwelling with two suites and separate house panel. That would suggest three individual meters? Is that what you are planning? I can sympathize with your dilema but stress to this person that you will comply with code first and budget restrictions second. That should settle a couple of your inquiries. Also insurance companies do not like fuse panels either. Your friend/family may find trouble getting insured in the future with it, especially with suites.
© ECN Electrical Forums