ECN Forum
Posted By: frank disconnect location - 04/08/05 09:14 PM
Installing a 30a 600v disco for an a/c.They want to locate the the disco 1.7m high behind the a/c which is 38" tall and 25" from the wall.This means that the tech would be standing with the back of his legs against the a/c chassis with the sealtite blocking his exit while testing/changing fuses.I don't think this meets code.Regardless i believe it's a major hazard.If you were to get a poke or an arc blast your probably going over it back a$$wards.Maybe I'm paranoid but that doesn't mean it can't happen.Have not checked the code yet but but the 32" rule comes to mined What do you think?
Posted By: crash Re: disconnect location - 04/09/05 11:22 PM
I think 2-308 (1) would apply. You need 1 m clearance (with secure footing) in front of the switch.

[This message has been edited by crash (edited 04-09-2005).]
Posted By: frank Re: disconnect location - 04/10/05 11:42 AM
Thanks crash.
Another issue with this job is that this equipment must be fed with with two sealtite drops at each end.There would be two leads under each lug on the load side of the disco which looks like another defect to me.I suggested that we simply put a splitter or even a j-box after the disco where the first drop is to make the connections.I have worked alone on these types jobs many times and already told him if it fails he's fixing it.I think he needs to check with the manufacturer recommendations on whether the disco terminals are rated for two wires but i doubt it.I'm trying not to get in argument because all my suggestions are being ignored but i started to this job and it got hijacked

[This message has been edited by frank (edited 04-10-2005).]
© ECN Electrical Forums