ECN Forum
Posted By: Whitey grounding rods - 12/09/03 10:49 PM
Hi
Question for you all.I have seen ground rods drivin into the ground inside a houses basement below the panel,although i know of no rule that forbids this,my belief is that a ground rod(2) installed outside the house a distance out from the overhang of the house that is subject to falling moisture is a far better install,do you people agree or am i just to picky? Also if using ground plate is one only correct 10-702(2)(b)
Thanks in advance for any input. One more thing list your methods for installing ground rods in frozen soil conditions as well as unfrozen conditions could be interesting!

[This message has been edited by Whitey (edited 12-09-2003).]
Posted By: dougwells Re: grounding rods - 12/10/03 02:36 AM
I have only seen this done in older homes. If it was code compliant at the time and has not been modified by a non licensed contractor in BC this would be considered acceptable
Posted By: Sandro Re: grounding rods - 12/11/03 01:39 AM
Commercial we use rods, For our resi jobs, we always use ground plate. One is all the code requires. You can bury it in the basement (difficult because you are already 6ft down and the ground is clay), or outside. In the rural areas we work I get the building contractor to take a nice big scoop of earth out(undisturbed, of course) with the back hoe right about where the meter base is located. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Tony Moscioni Re: grounding rods - 12/11/03 10:11 PM
Plate Electrode 10-702

0.2 m² (2 sq. ft.) of surface to exterior soil 6mm (1/4”) thick if iron, 1.5 mm non-ferrous plate and clamp must be approved (C22.2 #41) buried minimum 600 mm (24”)below grade ground conductor per Table 17.

may be inside or outside building
minimum 600 mm deep even under basement
buried in soil - not loose fill next to foundation must be inspected before covering
conductor buried minimum 250 mm below grade

Rod Electrode 10-702 (3)

Consists of two rods 5/8” diameter iron or steel and galvanized 1/2” diameter if non-ferrous not less than 3 m (10’) long driven to a depth of 3 m spaced minimum 3 m apart
top of rod 250 mm below grade if driven
over rock - minimum 600 mm cover
approved clamps required - 10-908

Tony Moscioni
Electrical Inspector
Electrical Safety Authority
© ECN Electrical Forums