ECN Forum
Posted By: CDN_ELECTRICIAN In need of Advice - 07/17/03 02:08 PM
Recently we were called by a customer to review an installation which was completed about two years ago and broke down recently.

The installation, 11/2" rigid AL conduit, 3 2/0 T90 conductors. (works out to about 33% fill)

The conductors went to ground.

The conduit was removed and cables pulled out, and a temporary feed installed to get the customer back up and running.

Anyhow, what I found was the condulets (LB's) have sharp edges on the inside of the fitting, at the little rise in conduit (sort of looks like a stop) where the the conduit threads into fitting.
This is the point at which the conductors had the fault. Not a full burn up (the fuses did a good job).

We have about 30 more of the same fitting in our shop and found that most of them are in the same shape. These were purchased recently, long after the above mention installation.

The question is:

Should I compain to the manufacturer or is there a method of complaint to CSA.?
These fittings I am sure are used by more than just us (well know manufaturer) and I can forsee more people having the same problem.

Thanks

H
Posted By: Tony Moscioni Re: In need of Advice - 07/17/03 09:26 PM
Interesting problem...

Contact these following organizations and voice your concern.

Electro-Federation Canada

An industry association Member companies manufacture and distribute a diverse array of products including household appliances, lighting, consumer electronics, communications and electronic equipment, cabling, industrial equipment and other electrical products

Electro-Federation Canada

5800 Explorer Dr, Unit 200 Mississauga ON L4W 5K9Tel: (905) 602-8877 Fax: (905) 602-5686 Email: info@electrofed.comWebsite: www.electrofed.com

Canadian Standards Association

Working to develop standards that address needs such as enhancing public safety and health and advancing the quality of life, helping to preserve the environment, facilitating trade Offer seminars and training

Head Office - Mississauga 5060 Spectrum WayMississauga ON L4W 5N6 Tel [Linked Image]416) 747-4000 Toll free: 1-800-463-6727 Fax: (416) 747-4149For consumer information about standards, call 1-800-463-6727 and ask for the InfoCentre or e-mail info@csagroup.org

For consumer information about product approval and the CSA marks, call 1-800-463-6727 or e-mail certinfo@csa-international.org

Electrical Safety Authority

To arrange for an Electrical Inspection:

1. Obtain the appropriate Inspection Application Form by contacting our Customer Service Centre at 1-877-ESA-SAFE (1-877-372-7233) or visit our website at www.esa-safe.com

2. Review your inspection requirements, record these on the form, and forward your request to our Customer Service Centre:
Fax to: 1-800-667-4278

E-mail to:
esa.Cambridge@electricalsafety.on.ca
Mail to: Electrical Safety Authority
Customer Service Centre
P.O. Box 24143
Pinebush Postal Outlet
Cambridge, ON N1R 8E6

Note: For assistance in completing your application, call our Customer Service Centre
at 1-877-ESA-SAFE.
© ECN Electrical Forums