ECN Forum
Posted By: frank inter provicial certification - 08/01/01 04:24 AM
does anyone know what the ministry of colleges and universities is doing with the I.P ticket i hear they have raised the score to 70% to pass the license.it was 60% for the provincial and 70% for the inter-provincial.are they doing away with the provincial?i called them and they seemed to dance around the subject like they really dont know.i just wrote and got 74% and i found the exam to be an insult.we go to school for three years to write an exam where they admit there is no correct answer to some of the questions(pick the best answer).they want us to be highly skilled at reasoning and problem solving so hows this: (1) they raise the exam fee 300%.(2)make it easier to get an apprenticeship(3)they raise the mark to an almost unattainable 70% on an exam that in my opinion does not test your skill level at all .now pick the best answer (a) your getting screwed (b)its a money grab (c) they are putting the money toward building a functional health care system where you arent left to die in the emergency room(d)any of the above because they really dont have a clue what they are doing.dont get me wrong i really love my country what powers at be are doing our trade a is almost criminal and i feel sorry for the generation that is up and coming.
Posted By: ElecTrainer Re: inter provicial certification - 08/22/01 03:15 PM
Originally posted by frank:
does anyone know what the ministry of colleges and universities is doing with the I.P ticket i hear they have raised the score to 70% to pass the license.it was 60% for the provincial and 70% for the inter-provincial.are they doing away with the provincial?i called them and they seemed to dance around the subject like they really dont know.i just wrote and got 74% and i found the exam to be an insult.we go to school for three years to write an exam where they admit there is no correct answer to some of the questions(pick the best answer).they want us to be highly skilled at reasoning and problem solving so hows this: (1) they raise the exam fee 300%.(2)make it easier to get an apprenticeship(3)they raise the mark to an almost unattainable 70% on an exam that in my opinion does not test your skill level at all .now pick the best answer (a) your getting screwed (b)its a money grab (c) they are putting the money toward building a functional health care system where you arent left to die in the emergency room(d)any of the above because they really dont have a clue what they are doing.dont get me wrong i really love my country what powers at be are doing our trade a is almost criminal and i feel sorry for the generation that is up and coming.

Hello, I have checked with the Ministry on this question as to what qualification would be given after September/01 and it is as follows. Anyone who passes (70%) will be rated as Interprovincial.
Since there is only one pass mark, therefore it has to be for the IP rating. This applies only to the trade of Electrician. I don't know just what is happening with the other trades, ie. Plumber, Carpenter,etc.
As to 70% being unatainable, I have to say it is tough, (been there) but ask yourself , would you want a Doctor who only attained 70% in Med. School or would you prefer a higher level?
As for raising the fee, all costs go up and one must consider that there isn't anything these days without cost. Also consider, the cost to maintain your certification is quite low compared to other professions, so there is some justice in the system.
As for your score of 74%, I have to say WOW and congratulations. You might be surprised to learn that you are in the top few to attain that score. I would certainly prefer you to wire my home!
© ECN Electrical Forums