ECN Forum
Posted By: Bill Addiss Are AFCIs required by code in Canada? - 07/28/01 10:17 PM
Are AFCIs required by code in Canada?
If so, in what locations or under what circumstances?

Bill
Posted By: sparky Re: Are AFCIs required by code in Canada? - 07/30/01 12:20 AM
dunno,
but seeing as we in Vermont will have an AFCI for 75% of our circuits, you'll not need go far to fetch 'em.
Posted By: mickky Re: Are AFCIs required by code in Canada? - 07/30/01 06:09 PM
I've been looking around for them up here (now that I know what they look like-a GFI CB.) But I haven't found any. The last home job I did, the Elec. installed the panel and an assortment of normal CB's, so I'm assuming they aren't required (yet...).
(Sorry about putting the original post in the wrong spot!)
mickky,

You're Forgiven .. [Linked Image]
In the 19th edition of the Canadian Electrical Code (presently scheduled for release January 2002)will include the requirement for AFCI's.

Rule #26-722 - Branch Circuits in Dwelling Units)will include the additional clauses (f) and (g).

(f) "Branch circuits that supply receptacles in sleeping facilities of a dwelling unit shall be protected by an arc fault circuit interrupter"

(g) "For the purposes of Paragraph (f), an arc-fault interrupter means a device intended to provide protection from the effects of arc-faults by recognizing characteristics unique to arcing and functioning to de-energize the circuit when an arc-fault is detected"
© ECN Electrical Forums