ECN Forum
Posted By: Tesla Does anyone know about this device? - 01/21/13 09:28 AM
http://v3solar.com/how-exactly-does-this-new-spin-on-solar-work/

^^^^ 130 seconds...

I can't figure out whether it's legit or fake.

Second opinions?
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Does anyone know about this device? - 01/21/13 02:56 PM
I have to share your opinion of a coin toss on this. If it is a revolutionary method, and the price point is reasonable the market will prevail on the outcome.
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Does anyone know about this device? - 01/21/13 06:46 PM
It may perform better than a flat panel but not better than a tracking flat panel. PV is instant. Half the time these cells will be in the shade.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Does anyone know about this device? - 01/21/13 07:51 PM
Good point there Greg. No matter how fast or slow it spins.

Posted By: Tesla Re: Does anyone know about this device? - 01/21/13 10:36 PM
My second take on the concept is that they've unwittingly followed in the footsteps of Solyndra.

The fact that it's spinning does not, in any way, eliminate the reality that most of the collector is DARK.

And then, they've introduced moving components to a design that doesn't absolutely require them.

It's this latter attempt to bypass the need for an inverter that is probably at the heart of their rationale.

Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Does anyone know about this device? - 01/22/13 03:03 AM
I was going to compare it to Solyndras revolutionary design, but ya beat me to it.

We have one Solyndra install in the Twp I work in, and last I heard the client was satisfied.
Posted By: sparkyinak Re: Does anyone know about this device? - 01/25/13 09:13 AM
The technology sounds sensible and is interesting. I'm gonna keep an eye on this.
The tracking PV panel would be the way to go, but it is probably cost prohibited for your average resi. install.
Posted By: sparkyinak Re: Does anyone know about this device? - 01/28/13 06:49 AM
Unless its space is limited, the cost for tracking can be better spent on more panels to more than make up from the "losses" of a non tracking system
Posted By: sparkyinak Re: Does anyone know about this device? - 03/15/13 08:32 AM
V3 solar posted another video on YouTube. It's demostrated the rotating solar. They apparently will be doing a live demo of their technology.
Posted By: NickD Re: Does anyone know about this device? - 03/26/13 02:21 PM
I am one who firmly believes in engineering from nature... it's been here millions of years longer and has thrived without our fool technology, so it ought to know a thing or two! wink

"Nature's way" is tracking... all plants actively follow and turn to face the sun, to varying degrees.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHe7y8cy-7Y

Spinning plants? Tomfoolery! clap

Posted By: sparkyinak Re: Does anyone know about this device? - 05/19/13 08:29 PM
I subscribed to their newsletter and keep reading good things about it. The basic principle seems sound. There's an article in June issue of Popular science. If it is snake oil, they sure are selling it
Posted By: John_UR Re: Does anyone know about this device? - 06/22/14 03:07 PM
Is it the last option??? Did you check other stuff related to PV??
© ECN Electrical Forums