ECN Forum
Posted By: HotLine1 Big??? - 06/16/10 02:19 AM
2.2 MW solar farm coming soon to a local POCO site. Turning brownfield site into a green gem.

Signed off on the plan review today, it should start construction within 2 weeks.

Pics will be posted IF allowed by POCO.
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Big??? - 06/16/10 03:30 AM
As long as they aren't "violation" photos, I bet they would like the publicity.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Big??? - 06/16/10 07:14 PM
BTW, they have another PV project currently in Planning or Zoning for a similar KW sized job at another facility. The drawings I saw have some really interesting concepts that I have not seen. Architectural concepts, that is.

Posted By: harold endean Re: Big??? - 06/21/10 02:11 PM
John,

I just heard that William Paterson University is planning to install the largest PV system in NJ. I heard it was suppose to be about 3MW of power and it is suppose to be installed on everything that doesn't move on campus. I heard this from a small PV installer as I was inspecting his system in town here. The largest I have inspected is a job that had 1000 panels (His count not mine) and put out approx. 400-450 amp at 480 volt. It was running the entire factory including the AC units. ( The AC units were for the office only, not the factory.)
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Big??? - 06/21/10 04:35 PM
I would be curious to see the bookkeeping on one of these installs. What the capital cost is before the rebates, what the maintenance is, what the true output is and how much the energy bill would be if they just bought the power from the utility.
I assume they do meter the power from the inverters.
Posted By: sparkyinak Re: Big??? - 06/23/10 06:04 AM
its interesting technology to say the least. I have researched, designed and have built several systems. Just got back yesterday from building a small system compared to these utility systems. Rebates and grants can make them economical. These larger systems I would imagine the cost per watt comes down like a big generator versus a little generator. Maintenace cost is really low but the upfront cost is pretty high. Presumimg $4 per watt, thats 8.8 million just for the panals. then there is support framing, wiring, inverters, etc. Being that its a large order, we will cut the cost of panels in half 4.5 million

Another odditity is it will rarly put out 2mW. only when the sun is directly over the panels. Based on data I use from NASA, on average in New Jersey, the system will put out 10 mkW/hr per day. more in the summer much less in the winter. Pesuming $0.10 per kWh for easy coversion, an average of $1000 per day revenue $365,000 per year or just under $11 million over the 30 year life span take 10% for panel degragation over ite life time for a grand revenue. or 9.8 million this would leave about $167,000 a year for the rest of the costs like installation costs, maintenace cost, front office costs, etc. This does not take in account the rising cost for utilities
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Big??? - 07/23/10 03:12 AM
Quick update; did a drive-in at site today...lots of site work/grading etc.

Nothing worthy of a pic yet

Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Big??? - 08/13/10 03:06 AM
Posted the first pic; ground mount racking in east field (partial) with a few panels. Sorry for the 'view thru the fence', I thought that was a good vantage point.

More to follow...

[Linked Image]
Posted By: ghost307 Re: Big??? - 08/13/10 03:27 PM
A 10 MW system was installed in Chicago recently:

http://mayor.cityofchicago.org/mayo...10/july_2010/0721_eelon_solar_plant.html

Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Big??? - 08/13/10 06:50 PM
Ghost307:
OK, seems like the 'Windy City' is the biggest!!

It's nice to see the activity within this thread!

Anybody have any more??

Posted By: frenchelectrican Re: Big??? - 08/14/10 10:33 AM
I heard not too long ago one commercal location did have 250 KW solar panels installed in city of Miluwakee Wisconsin but all the details I will have to dig it up and I heard rumors but not confirmed there is a larger one will be installed anytime soon.

I will look at European side with solar panels as well.

Merci.
Marc
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Big??? - 08/15/10 09:58 PM
Panels are starting to be set in place and mechanically mounted to racking.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: harold endean Re: Big??? - 08/20/10 02:19 PM
John,

You said in the original post that you signed off on the project. Would that be under our jurisdiction or the POCO's?
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Big??? - 08/20/10 08:50 PM
Harold:
DCA did Plan Review, I processed and approved the permit, as did Building Subcode for the ground mounting.

I'm doing the inspections, and DCA will follow-up?

Yes, per the last directive that I saw, this is considered a generation plant, as none of the power will be utilized at the site. It's going directly into the grid at primary voltage.

As of today, with the great weather break weve been having, the project is 1-1/2 weeks ahead of schedule.

Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Big??? - 10/16/10 07:58 PM
BUMP!

Additional pics in photo gallery. North Section awaiting tie-in by POCO. South Secton is awaiting POCO pad mount transformer (1500KVA, 480-13.2KV).'
'
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Big??? - 10/17/10 03:37 AM
Woah,
That is some install.
Is there some sort of barbed or razor wire above that fence?
I'd hate to see these panels go missing during the night.

Good pics, John.
Posted By: Alan Belson Re: Big??? - 10/17/10 11:25 AM
Mike, if that was my plant, my biggest worry would be skateboarders!
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Big??? - 10/19/10 12:38 AM
Mike:
Truthfully, I never noticed if barb wire was at the top of the fencing!

Razor wire here is a 'no-no', and there are strict limitations to barb wire also.

I know there is more fencing to be installed around the gear areas, and around the sites interior areas to enclose the panels.

BTW, I'm not aware of any panel snatchers (yet).

Posted By: ghost307 Re: Big??? - 10/19/10 02:13 PM
Chainlink fencing, barbed wire and razor wire (in new non-residential construction) are all prohibited here in Chicago...but if you come up with a good enough reason you can get a variance.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Big??? - 10/21/10 01:41 PM
Trumpy:
I checked the fence Wed., and yes there are three (3) strands of barb wire at the top. As to the zoning issues, this perimeter fence has been there for quite some time.

Commishining of the system should be within the next 30 days, as there is still a BPU inspection as this is considered a generation plant.

Posted By: gfretwell Re: Big??? - 10/21/10 05:52 PM
Have you ever seen an urban kid go over one of those fences. It is a thing of beauty.
One of my friends was the manager/lifeguard at the Anacostia public pool in DC. We went down there late one night for a private swim with some dates and suddenly we were surrounded by a half dozen kids who showed us how easy it was to get over that fence.
I am not sure how they get the solar collectors out but I assume you push them half way and catch/drop them on the other side.
Posted By: EV607797 Re: Big??? - 10/21/10 09:42 PM
Greg, you went into Anacostia late at night? You're a braver man than I am.
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Big??? - 10/21/10 11:51 PM
I grew up there. You get used to it ... and you pack.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Big??? - 10/22/10 12:47 AM
Greg:

Anacostia sounds like one of NJs interesting areas.

I wonder what 'market' there may be for solar panels? IMHO, they would be a tough sell, not like car parts.

Scrap value has to be minimal at best, for the alum. frame.
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Big??? - 10/22/10 03:44 AM
Solar panels will be scrapped for the aluminum until someone figures out the silicon is the expensive part. Then they will start showing up on hunting cabins, boats and wherever else people have a hard time plugging into the grid.
Posted By: Tesla Re: Big??? - 10/24/10 02:03 AM
Summer season placer miners in Alaska along the 40-Mile River sure can use solar. Those boys are paying $3.00 per kW-Hr for off-the-grid juice by gen-set!
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Big??? - 12/09/10 03:24 AM
System was commissioned and is on-line as of last week. Trying to get some finished pics, and a shot of the inverter screen.

Posted By: sparkyinak Re: Big??? - 12/10/10 05:42 AM
Originally Posted by Tesla
Summer season placer miners in Alaska along the 40-Mile River sure can use solar. Those boys are paying $3.00 per kW-Hr for off-the-grid juice by gen-set!

That is about what we are paying to generate power at our remote camps in SE Alaka. That makes it viable to go solar especially with our camps are only used in the summer and the panels keep the batteries topped off during the winter which keeps them from freezing
Posted By: harold endean Re: Big??? - 12/15/10 03:24 PM
Barb wire? Razor wire? Why?

Make it an electric fence! There would be no charge for the service!:)
Posted By: harold endean Re: Big??? - 12/15/10 03:27 PM
Greg,

You talk about those urban boys, They can strip out a house in record times around here. My old boss use to work near the NYC area of NJ and on weekends for new houses, they either had to hire guards for the houses, or board them up so tight that it would take you an hour to get in. Still some got broke in and stripped out. You had to install all the wire all over again.
© ECN Electrical Forums