ECN Forum
Posted By: Sandro $499 Denon Ethernet cable. - 06/17/08 10:36 PM
Saw this on one of the A/V forums. Denon just released a 1.5 meter ethernet cable for $499!

http://www.usa.denon.com/ProductDetails/3429.asp

Here is a quote from one independent tester : "But is the criticism of Denon fair? Officially, the Denon AK-DLI Ultra Premium link cable is a proprietary audio cable used between Denon audio products. Chris Eberle, an ISF calibrator, however has demonstrated that the Ultra link cable can be successfully replaced by a regular CAT5 Ethernet cable that sells for a few cents per foot."

I'd like to know how many people have acutally bought this.
Posted By: EV607797 Re: $499 Denon Ethernet cable. - 06/18/08 12:06 AM
Exactly. Like CAT5 is even necessary for 80% of the installations where it is specified and used anyway. This is all hype that was spawned by cable manufacturers years ago to scare people into buying more expensive cable. Now they are relying upon the computer geeks out there to keep spreading the word. People are such saps.
Posted By: A-Line Re: $499 Denon Ethernet cable. - 06/18/08 12:57 AM
Originally Posted by Sandro
I'd like to know how many people have acutally bought this.

The same people buy these cables that buy this stuff.
A cable for $499. Now thats cheap.

http://www.higherfi.com/audio_speakers/1

http://www.higherfi.com/audio_amps/1

http://www.higherfi.com/audio_phono/1

http://www.higherfi.com/audio_cables/1

What's your markup when you sell your customers this stuff?

Posted By: SolarPowered Re: $499 Denon Ethernet cable. - 06/18/08 01:42 AM

Interesting business model--"Make two sales, and retire."
Posted By: noderaser Re: $499 Denon Ethernet cable. - 06/18/08 04:16 AM
WTF?
Posted By: pauluk Re: $499 Denon Ethernet cable. - 06/18/08 05:45 PM
Look's like Denon is moving into the Snakeoil business.

As for those speakers, I assume those prices mean that you are buying them complete with the house they are located in? wink
Posted By: SP4RX Re: $499 Denon Ethernet cable. - 06/19/08 03:09 AM
This takes the old saying, "The more you make, the more you spend" to ridiculous new heights.

Shawn.
Posted By: SteveFehr Re: $499 Denon Ethernet cable. - 06/25/08 10:51 AM
"the AK-DL1 will bring out all the nuances in digital audio reproduction from any of our Denon DVD players with the Denon Link feature. "

What? Is this the same crap that's replacing all those $1 digital audio cables on my equipment with $20 TOS link for no apparent reason? I get see people chumped over monster speaker cable, but don't audio enthusiests realize digital is digital and it either works or doesn't, there's nothing in between?

Also: signal directional markings, LOL!
Posted By: mikesh Re: $499 Denon Ethernet cable. - 07/29/08 03:38 PM
I saw a european house panel that had its' neutral and bonding terminals changed for gold plated copper busses that was only $3000. The reseller called it an audiophile panel. The breakers were rated for Euro voltages ie 220/440 and if I recall it was like a 12 circuit panel. I doubt the normal retail is anything higher than 2 or 300 Euros. Even the gold plated copper buss can't cost more than a hundred Euros. So the %600 markup is pretty sweet. I wonder if they use high purity oxygen free AC cable too.
As far as code goes the neutral is black and the single phase conductor is red. I guess just to be consistent the grounds were probably green with a yellow stripe.
I think most of this stuff is a race to brag about who spent more on their audio systems because nobody can even hear the difference.
Posted By: pauluk Re: $499 Denon Ethernet cable. - 08/02/08 10:57 AM
Originally Posted by mikesh
I saw a european house panel that had its' neutral and bonding terminals changed for gold plated copper busses that was only $3000. {.....}
As far as code goes the neutral is black and the single phase conductor is red.

That sounds as though it would have been British or Irish, since I'm not aware of any Continental European countries which have ever used black neutral, red phase.
Posted By: Trumpy Re: $499 Denon Ethernet cable. - 08/03/08 01:28 AM

I think most of this stuff is a race to brag about who spent more on their audio systems because nobody can even hear the difference.

That's pretty much it Mike,
Are these folks going to ask the PoCo to install a transformer with gold plated terminals?, when you consider that most HV connections use Aluminium as the conductor in any underground installation, it's all done to a price.
The fact that these clowns think that you can HEAR the difference between different types of cables, is laughable,
everyone in a distributed system, gets the same electrical supply of the same quality, with modern systems of supply, there will be noise, RFI and other stuff on your power lines and if Broad-band over Power lines(BPL) ever takes off, there is more interference over your lines.

Personally, I would like to hear a convincing argument FOR the use of larger conductors, when you consider Skin Effect, you are just wasting copper.

BTW, unless I've missed something for the last 20 years, neutral/ earth bars are made of brass, not copper.
Posted By: mikesh Re: $499 Denon Ethernet cable. - 10/01/08 07:32 PM
Originally Posted by pauluk
I saw a european house panel that had its' neutral and bonding terminals changed for gold plated copper busses that was only $3000. {.....}
As far as code goes the neutral is black and the single phase conductor is red.

That sounds as though it would have been British or Irish, since I'm not aware of any Continental European countries which have ever used black neutral, red phase.

Yes it could have been British. I was in Qatar and they use British devices. I saw black neutrals there too.
© ECN Electrical Forums