ECN Forum
Posted By: Obsaleet Lighying Protection for DSL - 01/20/07 09:56 PM
Hi all,
Cumputer guy I do work for would like to Protect his DSL from lightning. Can this be done and how?

Obsaleet(Phil)
Posted By: BuildingHomes Re: Lighying Protection for DSL - 01/21/07 03:09 AM
There are many power bars out there that have an RJ jack in them to pass through and offer some form of surge protection.. But the only reliable way to protect against lightning is to create a nice physical gap.. unplug it.
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Lighying Protection for DSL - 01/21/07 03:21 AM
"Unplug it" is not really an option if it storms very often.
Start with verifying that the Telco has a modern Dmark with gas protectors and that it is tied to your service ground electrode system. Then use a point of use protector where the DSL modem plugs in that catches the phone and power. You should already have a panel protector if it ever storms there.
I suspect the telco is as interested in protecting their modem as much as you are.
That will be ground zero if there is a strike. I know when I had DSL installed they gave me a new Dmark and a fatter ground wire to my existing ground rod(s).
Posted By: LK Re: Lighying Protection for DSL - 01/23/07 01:02 AM
"only reliable way to protect against lightning is to create a nice physical gap.. unplug it."

Disconnecting it, allows a charged enviroment to build up, with no means of discharge, discharge connectors or blocks, at point of entry, is where they are required.

If there was a near strike, the disconnected equipment would most likely be the first to take a hit.
Posted By: BuildingHomes Re: Lighying Protection for DSL - 01/23/07 04:42 AM
So you mean if something is unplugged completely, sitting dead, that if lightning strikes your service, that unplugged item is also toast?

Please correct me if I am wrong.. I have lots of nice electronic stuff that I would like to keep.
Posted By: techie Re: Lighying Protection for DSL - 01/25/07 03:15 AM
One of the trick with lightning is making sure that all protection is tied to the same ground, so that no difference in potential exists between grounds. Make sure that the telephone, catv, electrical, satellite, and any other grounds all tie to the same place, and that all grounds are properly tied together to form a complete grounding system.

The concept is that a lightning strike is going to raise the ground potential of the surrounding area, and that by having all ground tied together as a complete system, you attempt to eliminate the differential between grounding points.

By typing all the grounds together at the perimeter, you attempt to keep the lightning from entering the structure in search of a better ground.

Make sure that all services are properly protected by lightning arresters at the service entrance.
http://www.polyphaser.com polyphaser makes high grade lightning arresters, as do others.
http://www.lightningsafety.com/ has some more info.
Motorola has a manual on site grounding for communications sites, known as the R56 standards and guidelines for communications sites, which contains a useful section of grounding. http://www.motorola-wls.com/Dynamic/Course_Description.asp?number=ANT001-CD&CourseKey=125

[This message has been edited by techie (edited 01-24-2007).]
Posted By: wrichey Re: Lighying Protection for DSL - 01/26/07 02:07 AM
ITW Links makes great electronic protection. The primary from the nid is ok but you will need secondary. Make sure you connect the ground on the secondary to the known good ground or you will not have a loop. If you dont know were that is just follow the nid ground.

Oh and a 170 volt self resetting clamp is ideal.
© ECN Electrical Forums