ECN Forum
Posted By: RHW2110 Generator Certification - 09/19/12 12:24 AM
I'm lookibg for suggestions for the best place to become a certified generator technician. I am an electrician who just recently took a job with a construction company that sercives water and sewer plants. We currently sub out the generator servicing. Does anyone know whos name customers would prefer seeing on a certificate?
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Generator Certification - 09/19/12 01:16 AM
RHW:

Welcome to ECN forums, from one of the Jersey Guys!!

IMHO, the customer should lean in the direction of the mfg of their genset. Kohler, Cat, etc.

Are you looking for the prime mover, or the gen, or both?

Have you tried a local Vo-Tech? Or possibly a County College? Another would be a private 'Tech School', like Lincoln Tech here in NJ. Must be some up your way.

Good luck

Posted By: RHW2110 Re: Generator Certification - 09/19/12 02:44 AM
First off thank you for the welcome.
I was leaning more towards a generator association rather than a manufacture.
Most of our customers are cities and towns and have multiple manufactures for generators.
I did some digging online and found EGSA (electical generating systems association).
This class looks very promising but I wanted to get a few more ideas before suggesting something to my company.
I did look into a few mfg classes but sice there are so many I wanted to get an industry opinion of which would be more worthwhile.
Thank You,
Nathan
Posted By: sparkyinak Re: Generator Certification - 09/19/12 08:20 AM
Try Universal Technical institute (UTI) I had my doubts when they first started advertising on TV years ago. One of my kids is attending UTI in Phoenix for diesel generation. Prior to starting, we toured the school and it seems a pretty squared away outfit. After you get past the basics and if you do good, major manufacturers have in house labs for advance training they hand pick from the classes. They pay for your training and jobs. Plus UTI offers lifetime job placement assistance
Posted By: Lostazhell Re: Generator Certification - 11/20/12 05:12 AM
These are the guys that do all the PM and service on the SOLAR Centaur and Taurus units we have where I work..

Wood Group
© ECN Electrical Forums