ECN Forum
Posted By: EcoLectric Pulling Permit & Payroll - 05/15/11 02:01 AM
I have been hired by an out of state contractor to pull some permits and run the work. We are in New Jersey and was wondering if the employees that we are going to hire are to be under my insurance and payroll or can they be under the out of state contractors payroll and insurance.
Thanks for the help
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Pulling Permit & Payroll - 05/16/11 06:53 PM
Eco:
Welcome to ECN forums from one of the 'Jersey Guys'.

Your question may have more legal ramifications then can be answered here. You should be checking with your accountant for any tax related issues, and your insurance agent for insurance related issues.

The OOS contractor may or may not have the required insurance coverage here (NJ). He should be able to provide you with certificates.

Also, keep in mind the requirements of the Board for anything that may be deemed a 'joint venture'!

Take care
Posted By: electric78 Re: Pulling Permit & Payroll - 12/30/11 03:10 AM
I agree with the post above because it could be different for each state and insurance company. There might be a way for you to account for different types of taxes in your payroll software. Generally, the solutions have this type of capability.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Pulling Permit & Payroll - 12/30/11 03:26 AM
Electric78:

WELCOME to ECN Forums, from one of the 'Jersey Guys'

Jump into any of the threads, anytime!!
Posted By: mikethebull Re: Pulling Permit & Payroll - 03/11/12 06:02 AM
I have run into this recently with some solar company "they" want a license " to supervise " their workers in Massachusetts .I have not given them an answer .
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Pulling Permit & Payroll - 03/11/12 09:32 PM
Mike:
"Supervise" is one of the requirements of a licensee here in NJ; supervise your employees on every job. That's not a verbatum quote, but my words.

A check with your accountant, and your attorney is a prudent place to start.

This type of arrangement may be considered 'covering' by some authorities, so.....be careful.
Posted By: leland Re: Pulling Permit & Payroll - 03/12/12 04:03 AM
Originally Posted by HotLine1
Mike:
"Supervise" is one of the requirements of a licensee here in NJ; supervise your employees on every job. That's not a verbatum quote, but my words.

A check with your accountant, and your attorney is a prudent place to start.

This type of arrangement may be considered 'covering' by some authorities, so.....be careful.

Times are tough. Uncle Sam is watching. Nuff said.
© ECN Electrical Forums