ECN Forum
Posted By: codewarrior Which trades organization ? - 03/01/08 02:00 AM
Hi I have questions on which electrical organization You belong to and why? What are your benefits,what are your dislikes,Have You learn Some of the business aspects from this organizations and there members?
Posted By: sparkyinak Re: Which trades organization ? - 03/01/08 03:14 AM
I am a member of both the NFPA and IAEI. They are a valuable resource to me for the several hats I wear on the job and personal work. I have access to resources that have more then paid for themselves. The info I recieve through my membership (besides the junk mail) provides me info on trends and insight where the industry is at and where it is going so I can stay on top of things up here. Plus it looks cool on the business card. smile Just kidding.
Posted By: BPHgravity Re: Which trades organization ? - 03/01/08 02:47 PM
My suggestion is to become a member and get involved with local organizations and associations. While being a member of a national organization does have its benefits, I feel I receive very little benefit that applies to my work and my local community. An example would be the NFPA and ICC. Being a member is great, but not all that engaging.

On the other hand, as a member of my local IAEI division and chapter, and being a member of the Building Officials Association of Florida allows me to be involved in programs and on committees that directly effect my state and my work.

Home associations and other local builders groups are great as well. While not always directly related to the electrical industry, the interaction with trade groups and persons involved in the construction industry in general is always beneficial.
Posted By: Alan Nadon Re: Which trades organization ? - 03/01/08 03:15 PM
IAEI- International Association Of Electrical Inspectors. $90 a year and open to all, not just inspectors. Well worth the cost. Membership includes their magazine and discounts on publications and seminars.
Posted By: BPHgravity Re: Which trades organization ? - 03/01/08 05:25 PM
Another thing to consider is joing an organization that not only provides YOU with benefits, but allows you to give back as well.

Many of us that participate on this forum are in a position to educate, mentor, and be role models for new generations of electrical apprentices and electricians.

So think about becomming a member of an organization that will allow you to do things you would likely not be able to do own your own.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Which trades organization ? - 03/03/08 12:23 PM
'Local' org's are the best, IMHO.
Around here (central NJ) the NJEIA. Yes, by name it's the NJ Electrical Inspectors Assoc., but EC's are members. Also, EC's are invited to join, or 'drop-in' at the regular monthly meetings. CEU's are available (1 hr) at each meeting, and additional CEU time is regularly scheduled in multi-hr. classes.

Also, there are local EC groups; NJECA, 4-County, etc.

Posted By: BPHgravity Re: Which trades organization ? - 03/03/08 05:17 PM
John, Is the NJEIA tied in with the IAEI?

I know there is a New Jersey Chapter in Normandy Beach, and a South Jersey Chapter in Trenton.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Which trades organization ? - 03/04/08 12:46 AM
No, to the best of my knowledge........but, I will ask one of the officers Tues.
Now...Normandy Beach? right accross the bay? Didn't know that & I'll have to check it out. I was an IAEI member, and I thought they just vanished!

Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Which trades organization ? - 03/05/08 12:44 AM
Link to NJEIA, if anyone is interested.....

www.njeia.com

© ECN Electrical Forums