ECN Forum
Posted By: u2slow installing used equipment? - 12/22/06 07:05 AM
I put up some customer-provided, used, 400W MH low-bays in a body shop. Now the customer isn't very happy with them (noisy, different lamps, varying intensity, etc.) This segment of the job is finished and paid for, but they have a bitter taste left in their mouths.

This job would not even have existed if they hadn't come into these cheap used fixtures.
Is this work to be avoided? Is it appropriate to write up a release or disclaimer for installing customer-provided product?

FWIW, I have another customer that encourages the use of their 'in house' supplies - new or used - if it makes the job go smoother. I'm more than happy to in this case. I'd rather have the convenience that the run-around even if I do lose some material markup.

[This message has been edited by u2slow (edited 12-22-2006).]
Posted By: Zapped Re: installing used equipment? - 12/22/06 04:02 PM
A written disclaimer is an excellent idea, but legally, a contract is a contract - either written or "implied" (discussed in front of witnesses).

I've done quite a bit of customer-supplied materials installations. I give them the talk about uniformity and list the problems that may arise and let them make the decision. Our job, after all, is to provide the service that the customer desires.

Just a word of advice - be as polite as possible without taking responsibility for the costumer's errors. A good portion of our job is public relations, and if you're lacking in your ability to persuade, you should avoid jobs like this if at all possible.

Good luck!
Posted By: ITO Re: installing used equipment? - 12/22/06 06:57 PM
I have done jobs like this on several occasions, with mixed results. The performance of an owner provided fixture does not reflect on you or your professional installation, provided that you have installed it properly as instructed and to code. Your job was to provide the path and control for the power, and to hang this fixture, and that is it. Performance of said fixture is the sole responsibility of he who furnished it. If a warranty is required be sure to word it to not include coverage of owner furnished materials.

If they are sour about the results, and you would like to keep them as a client, write up an estimate to replace the fixtures and give them a deal to do it. If you are not willing to bend any, write up an estimate to replace them at what you think is a fair price for your time and money.

We have been doing a lot of retail lately and they mostly have owner furnished fixture packages which include lamps. I have learned to exclude lamps and fixtures from my warranty. The furnished it, they own it.

On a side note, HID lighting loses intensity over time, they may just need some new lamps, but be careful fixing their junk, you may end up owning more of this problem then you want.
Posted By: Obsaleet Re: installing used equipment? - 01/06/07 01:56 AM
"Company X retains the right to add additional fees due to customer-supplied materials being damaged, defective and/or other thaen specified materials" Along with" Company X assumes no responsibility for customer supplied materials defects and/or damages"

I have no one question this as of yet. I borrowed most of it from a plumber buddy. He has recently stopped installing any and all customer supplied fixtures.

Ob
Posted By: LK Re: installing used equipment? - 01/06/07 01:30 PM
"He has recently stopped installing any and all customer supplied fixtures."

What's new, auto repair shops, and just about every other repair business refuse to install customer supplied parts, and for many good reasons, one of which is they loose the very thing they are in business for needed profits from material mark-up.

If you are forced to use customer material, don't forget to make up the loss, by an increase in labor charges.

Bottom line, you are in business to do better then just working for an hourly wage, and paying your expenses.
Posted By: u2slow Re: installing used equipment? - 01/06/07 04:48 PM
Company X retains the right to add additional fees due to customer-supplied materials being damaged, defective and/or other thaen specified materials" Along with" Company X assumes no responsibility for customer supplied materials defects and/or damages

Thank you! [Linked Image]

I think those words would have a very sobering effect on a customer when it comes to putting a signature to it. [Linked Image]

I am still primarily in a T&M mode until I get better at estimating. (Trying to get this 'shirt' taste out of my mouth still [Linked Image] )

[This message has been edited by u2slow (edited 01-06-2007).]
© ECN Electrical Forums