ECN Forum
Posted By: Tiger Territory/Travel Time - 10/29/06 09:58 PM
I'm curious what size territory the contractors in the group have and how long is your maximum trip to a job?

I go about 45 minutes maximum, or around 20-25 miles. The majority of my work is in town...within 5 miles and ten minutes.

Dave
Posted By: Sparks30 Re: Territory/Travel Time - 10/29/06 10:18 PM
I'll do about an hour. Or longer if the money is right.
Posted By: iwire Re: Territory/Travel Time - 10/29/06 11:40 PM
The company I work for has accounts with retail chains.

A 60 to 90 mile service call is not at all unusual for me with 150-200 mile one way trips happening occasionally.

The last two projects I worked where about 70 miles from home.

Glad it's their gas. [Linked Image]
Posted By: bot540 Re: Territory/Travel Time - 10/31/06 12:08 AM
Dave,
I live in Vernon Hills and will travel as far as the South Loop or Western Suburbs. Sometimes I can spend an hour and a half and thats with no traffic.
Posted By: mahlere Re: Territory/Travel Time - 10/31/06 02:11 AM
bot,

is that for residential? commercial? both? How do you get paid for that time? What if you were sending an employee, how would you cover that cost?
Posted By: bot540 Re: Territory/Travel Time - 10/31/06 02:23 AM
Mahlere,
I am a fairly new contractor so this is what I have to do to stay busy. Driving in Chicago can be a nightmare sometimes. Employees only get paid for travel time inbetween jobs, which isn't very often and they don't complain because I take good care of them. I will travel for any kind of work, as I am a work-aholic.
Posted By: mahlere Re: Territory/Travel Time - 10/31/06 02:28 AM
but how do you get compensated from your customer for this time?
Posted By: iwire Re: Territory/Travel Time - 10/31/06 10:00 AM
but how do you get compensated from your customer for this time?

Well for us it's easy.

We charge them by the hour as soon as I start heading their direction. [Linked Image]

If it also happens to be a 'off hours' call it is a four hour minimum and I charge the customer for every minute I am out of my house.

From the time the answering service calls me until the time I anticipate I will be back home.

Add to that a truck and mileage charge.

Of course none of our calls are to single family homes.

What do they get for this?...quick response, professional, reliable service. [Linked Image]

Also the abilty to get a lot of man power on the job ASAP if there is a major issue.

Bob
Posted By: electrictim510 Re: Territory/Travel Time - 11/01/06 04:41 AM
I average about 15min to 45min but will go 60min in slow season if needed but this rarely happens. The company I am with now does it right. Theyt would rather have too many calls than too many techs. This keeps guys busy and happy.
© ECN Electrical Forums