ECN Forum
Posted By: neutron New van - 03/26/06 09:30 PM
I'm just starting my own company and would like some advice on what kind of van I should buy. I was looking at the new Dodge sprinter van. looking to get some feedback on your past experience with vans. Thanks
Posted By: renosteinke Re: New van - 03/26/06 10:12 PM
In the most general terms, I would want a work truck (or van) to have the following:
-Be small and maneuverable enough to park in a normal space;
-Have remot-controlled mirrors;
-Have some means to transport long stuff (like pipe and ladders);
-Have some bulk transport capacity (like thet big wire cut you need to get);
-Have a 3/4 ton load rating;
-Have an engine large enough to easily merge on the freeway, even when fully loaded;
-Have real 10-ply truck tires (cheap tires or passenger tires won't stand up); and,
-be set up for towing (up to 1 ton tow).
Posted By: wilkie Re: New van - 03/26/06 11:46 PM
It depends on what type of EC business you are planning to start.
Posted By: Active 1 Re: New van - 03/27/06 01:54 AM
If your just starting you might want to think about a used truck until you have a steady income. That will help keep your overhead down. If you do still want new it would be better to buy before you take a leap so you qualify for a loan. Banks like to hear that you worked at the same job for the same pay. They wont want to hear you quit your job and want a new truck.

I was just talking to a retail owner last night. When asked about micro business comming and going he said the biggest cause of start-up failure is tring to pay off the start-up loan. I agree.

For what it's worth I like the step vans (like UPS). Can't beat the working space and easier in/out then a box truck.

Tom
Posted By: Active 1 Re: New van - 03/27/06 01:56 AM
I forgot to say get at least a 3/4 ton. A 1 or 2 ton may be better if you want to load it heavy.

Tom
Posted By: Electric Eagle Re: New van - 03/27/06 03:08 AM
We've had a Sprinter for about a year and it's been pretty good. It does cost a lot more more than standard cargo van, but itit has advantages also like 2-2.5 times the fuel ecconomy(17-20mpg actual results vs 8-9 for GMC 2500HD) and the 6 ft standing room in the van.
You need to weigh the plus's and minus's and decide for yourself. It probably comes down to how tight your finances are, you'll be looking at about $200 per month more for the payment and about $100 less in fuel cost. We look at the ~$100 extra as justifiable, the only downside is the height for ladders. Whatever you do don't buy the electric ladder rack unless you only need extention ladders, it doesn't work with A-frames.
Posted By: neutron Re: New van - 03/29/06 01:18 AM
Tom I heard used vans are not a good idea due to the amount of abuse they get.
Posted By: Active 1 Re: New van - 03/29/06 04:40 AM
You take your chances with used. It can be hard to find a clean low mile one for a fair amount.

Just saying I would rather put down a small chunk for a truck on a start-up and take my chances with repairs. Sometimes you can put off repairs more then the monthly payments. Plus you would not have to get full coverage. Starting out you may have more free time then you think. Maybe some repairs you can do yourself.

A 20K loan at 8% for 60 months is $405 per month with $4,331 paid total in intrest.

Guess it also depends how much work you have lined up. You never said were your at or the type of work your looking to do.
Posted By: Dnkldorf Re: New van - 03/29/06 11:43 AM
Reliability....you can't make money if the truck is in the shop....

Used vans can be "a dog with fleas"....

My new Ford has inherent front end problems, that chew through tires..I won't buy one of these again, they ride like lumber wagons..
The Chevy's ride alot smoother...

IMO

Dnk...
Posted By: mahlere Re: New van - 03/29/06 11:49 AM
you don't even want to buy anything. get a new truck on a term lease with a $1 buyout. This lets you write of the entire lease amount every month for the term of the lease and no money down. The truck pays for itself from day one.

the only time you want to actually purchase is if they are running a 0% interest deal. Otherwise looking into the lease option.
Posted By: festus Re: New van - 03/30/06 02:44 PM
I bought a chevy express 3500 work van. It is a 2003 model and was used as a fleet vehicle for TYCO-Simplex alarms. The milage is high at 95,000, but the van was serviced as required, and I got the carfax report with it. The van has a rating of over a ton and a half, and is equipped with a lot of options like power windows, good ac, towing electronics ,cruise control, etc... The engine is the largest v8 you can get, gas milage is ok, and I will deduct my milage at tax time anyway so I want power and torque on demand. I got my company logo on both sides and the back, and I am proud to drive this vehicle to do my service work. Also, it came equipped with full roof racks and parts bins as well as a driver shield from flying parts. I was able to finance this at 6% interest and paid 11,500.00 for it at five years making the payments at 216.00 a month. This van new with all the accessories would be about 30,000.00. My business is too new to afford something like that.
Posted By: neutron Re: New van - 04/01/06 03:38 AM
I'm looking to get into the commerical market should that have any part in my decision?
By the way thank you to all for all the great info this is a great site.
Posted By: PE&Master Re: New van - 04/06/06 03:16 PM
Hard to beat a used van. Yeh, you'll have some maintenance costs but I'd rather have a truck I could spend money on during the slow times than one I had to make large payments on every month.
Vans keep materials dry, have nice large sides for advertising, and an accessible top for your ladders.
I have a 2000 extended one ton Chevy that I bought with 120,000 miles. It gets 10 mpg but I paid $6,000 cash for it. Have bought tires, done my own brake jobs, and put a ladder rack on top. I've put 30,000 miles on it will little to no money other than what was mentioned. I did put an alarm system on it for $200 (bought on Ebay). It'll tow the largest trencher you can rent and will fit 10' material inside when needed.

[This message has been edited by PE&Master (edited 04-06-2006).]
Posted By: Joey D Re: New van - 04/29/06 01:02 AM
Last month I bought an 06 Express diesel van. Paid 26k out the door. Low finance rate, 3.8 I think so I put nothing down and keep my cash in the bank I would have put down on it to keep the payments low.
Milage is just over 18mpg. Quiet and rides very nice.
Posted By: briselec Re: New van - 04/29/06 02:26 PM
2 things I want in any van from now on

- remote control mirrors cause I'm fed up with not being able to adjust the passenger side mirror while driving.

- a light on the dash if any door is open. Anyone who has driven off with the side or rear door open will understand that one.
Posted By: bigpapa Re: New van - 05/07/06 07:04 AM
Number one priority for service van?
Get power door locks. You make lots of trips to your van in a day and you need to lock four doors every time.

My last van was a 2003 cargo express 1 ton, and I liked it a lot but didnt like putting fuel in it. It drove like a car.

I since have gone out on my own and bought a used astro cargo which I like also but for different reasons. Its smaller but my shop is now at my home (my garage) so I dont need to carry as much. I go home every night so I can store some stuff I dont use as often off the vehicle which saves fuel. They are discontinued however and will not be made in 2007 I am told.
Posted By: uknick Re: New van - 05/13/06 05:25 PM
Do you have ford connect vans in the US? small front wheel drive vans very good I have one.
http://www.ford.co.uk/ie/transitconnect/-/-/-/-/-/-
Posted By: briselec Re: New van - 05/13/06 11:03 PM
I used to have a Transit till I snapped the chassis in half.
I wouldn't mind working out of an old Bedford again. I've been using Hi-Aces for years because of their reliability but the old Bedfords had much more style and room.
Posted By: Active 1 Re: New van - 05/15/06 02:13 AM
Nope. Ford had a Windstar. I don't think I seen a cargo one. Not sure if they still make them. Before that was an Arostar but that was a rear wheel drive.
Posted By: u2slow Re: New van - 08/04/06 04:56 AM
I'm part-time self employed outside of my normal 40hour week. I have a computer background in addition to electrical. So far I'm not encountering the kind of work that requires me to have a loaded 1-ton van handy at all times.

I'm looking at various station wagons.... possibly a Focus or Jetta, even a Mercedes 300TD caught my eye. Sprinter looks promising, but too new still for my budget. (Heck, a Liberty CRD is cheaper!)

I can always use the family vehicle (F350 crewcab) if I have a serious load of material or equipment to deliver.
Posted By: neutron Re: New van - 08/05/06 02:28 PM
Thanks to all for the great info. I bought a used GMC 2500 van got a great deal on it 2004 with 14000 miles for $14,000
© ECN Electrical Forums