ECN Forum
Posted By: rmiell radio dispatching - 08/23/05 05:35 PM
Does anyone use radio dispatching for their crews? If so, do you have a set of radio codes (such as 10-7 for leaving or 10-8 for arriving) and or procedures that you would care to share?

TIA

Rick Miell
Posted By: LK Re: radio dispatching - 08/24/05 12:08 AM
The first code you must learn is, Can you repeat that.
Second is, If you hear me, call back on a land line.
Posted By: DougW Re: radio dispatching - 08/24/05 07:00 PM
I know many crews that are getting away from radio dispatching in favor of Nextels or other P-T-T equipped type phones, due to less hassle re FCC licensing & equipment costs v. having phones and radios.

They usually wind up using the radios for "on site" commo.
Posted By: Jps1006 Re: radio dispatching - 08/25/05 04:24 AM
Just noticed online that some of the newer Nextel phones offer off-nework walkie talkie. You know.... when you're 2 rooms away from the guy your trying to talk to and can't get through because the network is jambed. I assume this would go through and two way communication is better? Anyone got these newer phones? do they work well?
Posted By: LK Re: radio dispatching - 08/25/05 08:33 AM
Here is a good link for your 10 Codes, http://archimedes.galilei.com/raiar/code-10.html
We may go back to radios, the cost of cell services are going up, and the quality of services are going down, it appears their only concern is selling increasing rate plans, and building cash flow, rather then offering quality services at affordable rates.
Posted By: iwire Re: radio dispatching - 08/25/05 10:06 AM
LK we sure agree about the Nextels.

Luckily I am not the one paying the bill.

No Service, System Busy Try again, Target Not Available, push button wait...wait...BEEEEP, did not go through.

I have been on the same roof with an antenna marked Nextel and still had my call drop.

The service seems to getting worse by the day, to many phones not enough towers and frequency's.

I am starting to think a couple of soup cans and a string would be more reliable.
Posted By: LearJet9 Re: radio dispatching - 08/25/05 11:24 AM
We have walkie-talkies. (I know they are around here someplace) We went to Nextel and it just aggravated us more. We tried a couple of different cell services and finally settled on Verizon; not great, but the best of the bunch. We now use cell's for everything including in place of walkie-talkie even in the same building.
Posted By: LK Re: radio dispatching - 08/25/05 05:10 PM
"No Service, System Busy Try again, Target Not Available, push button wait...wait...BEEEEP, did not go through. "

Yes, the same here, and it is getting worse not better, all we get from customer service is lip service, not improved service, I called yesterday, and the only thing they were able to do is recommend new phones, and a longer contract, that would be more reliable, well mam the phone is three months old, and it is the third time you told me an upgrade would solve the problem.
I think it's time to regulate these cash cows.
Posted By: Active 1 Re: radio dispatching - 08/26/05 02:30 AM
Our Nextel service keeps getting worse. They just merged with sprint. I read several reports that nextel does not plan much for service / equipment upgrades for a few years. Were looking to change carriers.

Here is a site to see service reviews by zip code http://www.cellreception.com/deadspots/florida/page1.html

Tom
Posted By: Electric Eagle Re: radio dispatching - 08/26/05 02:45 AM
We use Nextel, but don't like it. The only problem is so many of our contractors use Nextel, we are forced to also. If someone makes a phone with push to talk that can contact a Nextel radio, it would be very popular, but that's not going to happen. Perhaps Nextel should read this thread to see what it's customer base thinks of it.
Posted By: Trumpy Re: radio dispatching - 08/26/05 03:56 AM
Hi Rick,
All of the vehicles at the PoCo that I work for are equipped with VHF Radio's.
We've always used radio communications as far as I can remember, especially for vehicle to vehicle comms.
Cellphone coverage around here is too dodgy with all the mountains and things getting in the way of a decent signal.
I can also "patch" into the local phone network here if I have to.
Don't forget that radio communications have also come a long way in the last few years as well.
© ECN Electrical Forums