ECN Forum
Posted By: renosteinke Integrety #5: Plan review - 08/18/05 12:46 AM
You're looking at the plans for a job, and you see something has been overlooked- or just won't work as drawn.

Do you tell this to the customer now- or do you wait until you get the job, then put in fo a change order? Or- just do what you were told, and let them figure it out?
Posted By: sierra electrician Re: Integrety #5: Plan review - 08/20/05 05:26 AM
John
Everything up front, unless...... the guy's your bidding aren't asking the same questions. In that case bid it flat and pick up the "extra"

On competive bids you usually only have until the last two weeks to get your RFI's answerd. If you get them in in time the Architect will send out addendum's reflecting the changes so all bids will be equal.

Rob
Posted By: Tiger Re: Integrety #5: Plan review - 08/21/05 02:18 PM
It depends what kind of plan I have and how much time I want to spend on it. For an existing client I bring it to their attention and include it in the Contract Proposal. I make a note that says something like "Bid to print with the following additions".

For a price-shopper with a sketch, I add a note that says something like "Bid to print. Plans should be submitted to the local Building Department for Permit and approval."

Dave
Posted By: Electric Eagle Re: Integrety #5: Plan review - 08/21/05 04:05 PM
It depeds on the situation, but I tend to point these things out. I think it makes my proposal look more complete if I point out mistakes and the fact that I considered them before starting the project. A customer might pay a considerable amount more if they know I'm not going to hit them with change orders.

I personally don't like change orders. I would never submit a low bid to get a job thinking "I'll just make it up on change orders". My regular customers know this and often don't even get competing bids.
Posted By: LK Re: Integrety #5: Plan review - 08/21/05 10:18 PM
"A customer might pay a considerable amount more if they know I'm not going to hit them with change orders."

Yes they do, and they usually become your best customers, bringing their attention to errors, and items that were missed, puts you in a much better light, for bringing in the job on, or under budget.
© ECN Electrical Forums