ECN Forum
Posted By: WhiteRook Working alone? - 05/30/05 04:50 PM
Thought I would open a thread for those of us who work by themselves, at least most of the time, to share how we have come up with ways to do our jobs without that extra pair of hands to help. Maybe it is a method to doing the work, maybe it is a tool, or maybe just a different approach to the job. I think that we can help each other out with this thread. I know it sounds like the tips and tricks section, but I think there are unique ways that we do our work that can benefit all. What do ya'll think? Worth the post?
Posted By: Megawatt Re: Working alone? - 05/30/05 10:43 PM
I'll start.....
An open ladder is great at holding rolls of THHN mounted on 1/2" EMT, pays out as You pull the jet line !!
Posted By: WhiteRook Re: Working alone? - 05/31/05 04:28 AM
I use those segmented fiberglass rods, you know the kind you can screw together, for fishing down walls with insulation or no insulation. They are also helpful when going across a lay-in ceiling or attic. When I first bought them, I thought they were pretty pricey but they have saved me a lot of wasted time trying to get a fish tape down the wall. I also use them when I am fishing wire thru liquidtite. Hope this was helpful to someone.

[This message has been edited by WhiteRook (edited 05-31-2005).]

[This message has been edited by WhiteRook (edited 05-31-2005).]
Posted By: DougW Re: Working alone? - 05/31/05 05:37 PM
+1 for the ladder-as-wire-reeler idea. Done it several times. Don't forget to throw a couple of fittings on the end of the conduit so it doesn't accidentally roll itself off the braces.

The line voltage circuit tracers ("Breaker finders") are great when you're trying to ID the D/C for the circuit you're working on. Don't forget, even if your detector is a little vague between 2 different breakers - the trace tone will disappear when you kill the right one! [Linked Image]. (Don't ask) [Linked Image]

Also remember - C-clamps are your friends... especially when installing conduit horizontally by yourself. You can clamp to the joist / truss, and run the stick through the clamp... no more trying to line up a hanger 8' away, or up the ladder...down the ladder three times for one run.
Posted By: Celtic Re: Working alone? - 06/01/05 12:19 AM
-1 for the ladder/reel act

I use a milk crate and load 3 reels (up to #10 *1)in it...you can always add crates/reels...clean-up is easy - just pick up the crate and 1 less ladder to hump.

*1 - after the 10's, the ladder act is a cheap alternative.
Posted By: Tech-Home Re: Working alone? - 06/01/05 04:07 PM
Ditto on the fiberglass fish sticks for residential rework. I hardly use a fish tape anymore - have saved dozens of hours in ceilings, attics, and walls. They also make a glow in the dark type, work great for locating partitions in the attic.
Posted By: Active 1 Re: Working alone? - 06/01/05 09:20 PM
Lube the wires for even smaller pulles in pipe.
Posted By: WhiteRook Re: Working alone? - 06/12/05 04:35 PM
Well I thought this post would get some interesting inputs, but I guess not. Seems as if you are not asking a question about how to figure your overtime charges or service call charges it isn't worthy...oh well, sorry for the rant, but I really thought that with all the one man shops out there that we would have some interesting ways of doing things...obla di obla da...life goes on.
Posted By: WhiteRook Re: Working alone? - 06/12/05 04:40 PM
I would like to thank the guys that did respond. The milk crates are excellent for a wire rack and I really had not thought of the C-clamps...thanks for your input!!
Posted By: Electricmanscott Re: Working alone? - 06/12/05 08:12 PM
Geez boo hoo. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Tiger Re: Working alone? - 06/12/05 09:31 PM
Other than pulling wire, much of the installation work is one-man work. I do a lot of extra walking over someone with a helper, but tools and tips won't change that.

Dave
Posted By: Alan Belson Re: Working alone? - 06/12/05 10:56 PM
Agreed, gismos are only part of the answer. It's well known that a 2 person team achieves more than 2 individuals working alone, for whatever reason, but DETAILED planning of every task in advance, making lists of parts & tools, making notes, (a jotter in the pocket always), these are ways in which a one-man operation can improve effectiveness.
We used to call this the Five Ps.
Poor Planning = Pathetic Performance.
- I left out the other P, as it's a profanity!
And WhiteRook, don't be disheartened by a lack of 'posted' responses, there are far more people reading than ever write in, so a post ALWAYS has value, (imho).
And my latest 'gismo'? it's the digital camera- what a boon to the memory is a good pic of a situation when back in the office.
Alan
Posted By: Jps1006 Re: Working alone? - 06/13/05 03:12 AM
I was interested to see the good review on the fiberglass rods. I always dismissed them as a waste of time and money. But now my brother (who also works alone) and I are giving them a second look.

One that I cam up with recently could work for someone on a crew as well. For fishing across a drop ceiling, rather than spending the money on that stupid fishing string pistol that shoots across the tile, I grabbed an old slingshot kids toy and tied on some jetline. Took me three tries to get it right where I wanted it, but saved a ton of moving the ladder around.

here's a link http://www.epinions.com/kifm-review-3A47-36CE3E0-389A0135-prod3

[This message has been edited by Jps1006 (edited 06-12-2005).]
Posted By: mkoloj Re: Working alone? - 06/13/05 01:00 PM
+1 fibeglass rods, I have used those for the last 5 years I have been doing data\comm work and I am a big fan. I have seen some old school guys that laugh at my fishing poles, but then they see them in action and I get "Where did you get those sticks from ?? ". I don't like the greenlee fish-stix as they tend to splinter and crack a lot and those fiberglass splinters are a painful thing. At LSDINC.COM you can find the ones I prefer and they are made in a spiral wound fashion that I have not in a year had one splinter on me. You can get all kinds of tips that thread on to them. Once I was installing some fiber between 2 buildings and the helper tripped on the pull-string and yanked it into the underground pipe, no problem I took my zig-zag tip and hooked the string that was 20' down the conduit in 2 minutes.
Posted By: WhiteRook Re: Working alone? - 06/13/05 01:58 PM
JPS1006 you are exactly right on in using the rods to go over drop ceilings. When I am running MC, I can guide the rods over existing pipe, cable whatever and keep it off the actual grid. At about 12 foot in length, it really cuts down on moving the ladder as the MC can easily "hang" on the grid edges. Naturally, where it needs support, I can come back and strap it up or use the batwings to support it. They really have been worth the price. I haven't had the problem with splintering. Maybe that is just for the Greenlee brand??? For fishing down walls...they are the greatest. The fact that they come in short sections and their flexibility has really helped too.
For DougW, after you mentioned the C-clamps, I started thinking about other ways I could use them to help me and one I came up with is to use them when pulling wire (when you don't have a helper) is to use them to support wire coming off your reels in the ceiling so that your wire is not pulling at an angle from the floor, across a T-grid, etc. This will keep the wires close together and almost work like an extra pair of hands. Try it, it works good for me. Thanks again for the C-clamp idea!!
Electricmanscott...thanks for your imput too!
Posted By: Dnkldorf Re: Working alone? - 06/13/05 02:55 PM
Using a piece of emt or pvc, straped up above the drop cieling will help on pulling wires up into the drop cieling also.

The MC will not get caught on the edges of the grid, but will slide over the pipe.

Dnk....
Posted By: tx2step Re: Working alone? - 06/13/05 04:49 PM
what brand and model number of fiberglass rod has each of you found that works best for you?

Where did you get them, and what did they cost?

How durable are they, and how long have they lasted?

How do you carry them in your truck?
Posted By: tx2step Re: Working alone? - 06/13/05 04:57 PM
For C-clamps --

Have any of you used the vice-grip type of C-clamp?

I've used them a lot for temporarily clamping things in place before I permanently attach things, and they work well. They're very quick to instlall and remove.
Posted By: mkoloj Re: Working alone? - 06/13/05 06:05 PM
The product I showed earlier I got from this site :
http://www.mccartenco.com/products/wcpd/index-1785_1112.html
That is the kit I got, it consists of 20 6' sections and is $500. You can get smaller kits with less sections but for me I have a couple of guys who are pretty rough on the tools so I stocked up on them. They have different thicknesses .159", 1\4" and 5\16" The smallest ones are a little harder to keep the tip up above things in the ceiling when you are working with more than 1 section, the 1\4" are the ones I prefer, and the thickest ones don't have the flexibility to pull out of tight spaces too easily. I definitely recommend the 1\4".
I said earlier that I stocked up as I have a couple of animal tool destroyers working with me and they have yet to damage one of these so I am happy with the durability.
I havn't worked out of a van for about 2 years but when I did we had a kit that came with a PVC holder with a cap that you can just lay on the ground on the side of your van. Also when running thru cable trays or thru a J-hook path the basket attachment is the key to keeping your cables from interweaving with the existing cables. I am speaking from a tele\data standpoint and i'm sure some of my situations don't apply to you sparky's. But when I was wiring my house for data, phone and TV I used them and they made life real easy trying to locate things in the attic. I drilled a tiny hole in the ceiling right above my cutout in the wall, pushed a rod up into the attic, then went in the attic and drilled the hole down, pulled the snake up into the attic and back down into the wall with the cables attached to the tip, these things really made my life easier locating the framing members I drilled thru. I have always worked in commercial settings so getting used to the whole solid-ceiling and drilling wood took some getting used to for me but these things definitely helped ease the pain.
Posted By: WhiteRook Re: Working alone? - 06/14/05 12:09 AM
tx2step you can get the ones I got over at Fry's in their electrical tools section. I don't recall the brand (mine are orange)and they were about $60 if I recall. They came in a plastic tube and I just carry them in my van in that. I didn't get the different tips like mkoloj got. I would think that I could find the tips their at Fry's also. As for durability, as long as you don't go crazy and try to bend them too far they should last for a long, long time. They really are flexible. Since you are in the DFW area (so am I) Fry's or any place like that should have them. Not sure about some of the supply houses but have seen similar rods at either LOWES or HOME DEPOT. Old age, memory fails me. Vise-grip style clamps would work as well, easier on and off but in some cases the u-shape of the c-clamps is desired...what the heck, carry both kinds.
Dnkldorf, good call on the pvc and mc going over it.
Posted By: Wireless Re: Working alone? - 06/19/05 03:49 PM
On a T-Bar ceiling if there is no insulation (sometimes even with insulation) a big wheel remote control car/truck works well. Can't rely on it for every situation but when it does work it works good. You might have some explaining to do to the guys when they see it in your truck!
Posted By: mkoloj Re: Working alone? - 06/20/05 01:29 AM
I used to have a helper named Mickey that I would tie a pull string to his tail and put a lighter under his rear. He sure ran the string but sometimes didn't go quite where I planned. [Linked Image]
Posted By: e57 Re: Working alone? - 07/06/05 07:58 AM
I work with a crew of 15... But for some reason often get stuck doing things myself. Here are two hoakie ways to get it done that I have devised over the years.

Pulling by myself, too many times to care about. This is hard to describe, so bear with me... Always keep a roll of nylon jet line, and an empty thhn reel and tie wire on truck. Jam your fish tape into the pipe you're going to pull. Don't pull the wire yet, just the jet line. Then tie wire the empty reel on the box you're pulling from like a pulley. Take the jet line back to where the wires you're pulling at, and attach to the jet line. Feed the wire with one hand, and keep tension on the jet line. It seems like alot of extra work, but beats just trying to push the wire through the pipe. This works great on shorter runs. (Where there's not too many people to trip over your jet line... Or if all by yourself at a site.) But is not a substitute for someone to really pull for you. If its too far or too much in the way of this method, and dealing with a cieling box, tie a half roll of #12 to the string and do it 8-10' at a time, letting gravity put the tension on it for you. It's a lot better than a few inches at a time.

Now, a sure fire breaker finder, (In case you loose yours, or dead battery, or just don't have one at all.) and no, it's not shorting the circuit! Just change the load a little... You need to know what panel it is... Amp out all the breakers in the panel, and write the result right on the breakers. (Most have a part that is hidden by the cover, write it there.) Now do one of two things, add a sustantial load to the circuit you want to find. I usually will take the bit out of my roto-zip, and plug that in, or wire in a few temp lights, just to get a change of a few amps. Or if you have a cord that will reach the panel, jog the roto-zip, or any other tool that has a few amps load, and amp out again. The one that changed is your circuit, double check, and shut it off. (It helps to know the load you're adding, in case someone else starts up something while you're doing this.) In offices where I absolutely possitively need to shut off ONLY that circuit, and nothing else. I'll use a tracer to get the location, and use this meathod to double check, but use a more substantial load, like a skil saw! "Hey look theres an extra 15.5 amps at motor start on this one, thats definately it."
© ECN Electrical Forums