ECN Forum
Posted By: JFLS41 Contacting Competitors for work... - 03/31/05 12:55 PM
I am in the infant stages of my business and not yet walking on my own. I am going to through this idea out there for dissection but hopefully not ridicule myself. I have a yellow pages ad but it doesn't come out with the new phone books until May or June. So I was thinking, some of the larger established electrician businesses in my area probably turns down small work that I wish I would glady do. Would it be ethical, unethical or even foolish to contact these competitors and ask them to throw the small fries my way? Of course I should offer something in return? Not sure what that could be just yet, perhaps I could offer my services as a helper assisting their guys pulling wires etc... on a subcontractor basis? Would an introductory letter to these competitors be wise? Let's have your thoughts on this as I am open to feedback, both positive and negative if this post warrants that.

Thanks
Posted By: Joey D Re: Contacting Competitors for work... - 04/01/05 01:10 AM
Best bet would be talking directly with them. I do sub work for an alarm company running conduit or what ever but I meet them by having an alarm job of my own that turned into a huge system that I was not comfortable in doing so I picked up the phone book and started calling.
Posted By: BobH Re: Contacting Competitors for work... - 04/01/05 02:26 AM
It seems to me that you might have to really make it worth their while. Especially if they've never heard of you or your business and they don't know your work ethic or abilities. Your work would be reflected a little on them if they threw small jobs your way so I think they would have to trust you first, that's just how I see it.
© ECN Electrical Forums