ECN Forum
Posted By: Dnkldorf Length of GEC - 05/03/05 03:08 PM
Is there a max length for this?

Reason for the question is this:

From a SDS, 480x208/120Y transformer, I need to go to building steel with the GEC, but the transformer is in the middle of the floor.

Is there a max length that it can be, and does it have to be protected from damage in conduit, or can it be supported, say with ty-wraps, to the feeder conduit?

Dnk....
Posted By: George Little Re: Length of GEC - 05/03/05 05:24 PM
I'm not seeing any length limitations. As for does it require physical protection-(250.64(B) It would depend on the size of conductor, #8 needs to be in conduit, #6 can go in without conduit as long as it follows the surface of the building, #4 needs protection if subject to severe physical damage-(Hi-Lo type setting), and as to ty-wraping it to the feeder conduit. Someone has to make the call that it is "functionally associated" I'd make the call in my jurisdiction and probably say "No".
Posted By: e57 Re: Length of GEC - 05/04/05 01:14 AM
It needs to go to the "nearest" electrode. I would double check to see if the steel is actually part of the electrode system before actually going there. Would not be cool it it were not. As you would end up with a floating neutral and a kinda live piece of building steel, or being dependant on any ground that may have come over with the feed.

If the nearest electrode were a main panel, and you were feeding from it, I don't see why the GEC could not be run IN the feed conduit, as long as it were sized right for the secondary. And it is an exception to at least the 2002 NEC in 250.30 (4) to come from the main. Its the best place anyway, reguardless of "nearest" IMO.
Posted By: George Little Re: Length of GEC - 05/04/05 01:37 AM
e57- If he's using a metal raceway he needs to watch his bonding on both ends 250.92(A)(3) and/or 250.64(E)
© ECN Electrical Forums