ECN Forum
Posted By: George Little Laundry circuit - 04/22/05 08:54 PM
Since the code talks to a 20a laundry circuit and no voltage is mentioned, am I still to figure 1500va for the laundry circuit when the appliance ask for a 15a 240v circuit? This is the rating on some of these "off shore" washers that I am seeing in the new homes lately.
Posted By: Roger Re: Laundry circuit - 04/22/05 09:49 PM
George, 1500va would still need to be figured. I guess we could leave out the neutral consideration if we knew the unit would be 240v. In any case the NEC does note a two wire circuit.

Roger

[This message has been edited by Roger (edited 04-22-2005).]
Posted By: renosteinke Re: Laundry circuit - 04/23/05 12:20 AM
Joe T has a point...it is his opinion that the NEC requires a 120v laundry circuit, even if the unit is 240v.

I agree with his reading of the code...I'm not sure I'd apply it. Heck, I recently saw some apartments that had added stack washer/dryer units to the kitchens...darned if I can sort out all the code issues that brings up!

As for the load calculations....as I see it, you'll have to do the square foot calc, and then add the known load of the appliance.
Posted By: George Little Re: Laundry circuit - 04/23/05 12:55 AM
What's Joe T? Are you talking about Joe Tedesco? and I don't see his point on this page?? I agree that it is assumed to be 120v. but even if it is 240v. the wire is the same and one could easily change the receptacle and breaker at minimal cost. But the va. would be different.
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Laundry circuit - 04/23/05 03:18 AM
I agree 120v is not specified. Perhaps if we really thought there was going to be 240v appliances you could run 12/3 and use one of those 120/240 duplexes.
The load calc is still going to be 1500va. It is an arbitrary number.
Posted By: caselec Re: Laundry circuit - 04/23/05 05:25 AM
210.52 Lists the requirements for 125-volt 15 and 20 amp receptacles outlets in dwellings. 210.52(F) requires that a receptacle be provided for laundry. In my opinion all receptacles required in 210.52 (A) – (H) must be 125-volt.
Posted By: George Little Re: Laundry circuit - 04/23/05 11:49 AM
Good call Caselec, I agree. That one got past me. I told you guys that us inspectors learn from this forum [Linked Image]
Posted By: renosteinke Re: Laundry circuit - 04/23/05 05:22 PM
Yes, I meant Joe Tedesco, and he has raised this point elsewhere........I was only giving credit where it was due :-)
Posted By: GEC-1 Re: Laundry circuit - 04/27/05 12:39 AM
I am wiring condos right now that require a 240v for the combined washer and dryer. I still provide a 120v for the washer ( even though it does not use it) to comply with the code. I asked the AHJ about this, and he said that the only way around that is if the owners were providing the washing equiptment with the condos. ( which by the way they are) But I still provide this circuit for an outlet in that space. ( a good place to hang your dust buster)
Posted By: Larry Fine Re: Laundry circuit - 04/27/05 04:20 AM
I had the same situation: building owners supplying 240-v stacked units. The AHJ still wanted 120-v receptacles. Reason: appliances can be replaced, and they don't want someone needing an extension cord.

How about gas applainces that could be replaced with electric ones later? I just finished roughing a house with gas, and I suggested, and ran, a 240-v circuit just in case, to be blanked off for now.
Posted By: Alan Nadon Re: Laundry circuit - 04/27/05 04:57 PM
Not to sound like too old a guy but, the primary use of a laundry outlet when I was starting out was for the electric iron, with the washing machine secondary.
Even today with the stackable washer/dryers an outlet for an iron in the area of the laundry equipment is needed.
Laundry circuit 20 amp. 120 volt.
The 240 volt circuit is the one that is NOT required.
Alan
Posted By: George Re: Laundry circuit - 04/27/05 05:03 PM
Is this a laundry in a closet or a laundry in a large room?

There is no reason for a 120v circuit if there is no room to use it in.
Posted By: George Little Re: Laundry circuit - 04/27/05 08:13 PM
Alan- of all the comments here on the need for a laundry circuit, yours makes the most sense. Just don't tell the lady of the house your providing a receptacle so she can iron clothes [Linked Image]
Posted By: bonding jumper Re: Laundry circuit - 04/28/05 07:25 PM
Hello to all, long time reader first time poster.

These sections confuse me. On one hand 210.11 © (2) requires that you need a 20a branch circuit for the laundry, so you would think that it is for the washer and (gas) dryer. But in 210.52 (F) ex 1 states in an apt. or multi a family dwelling where laundry facilities are provided on premises and are available to all building occupants a laundry receptacle is not required. Where do you plug in the washer & dryer? So what is the branch circuit for, a convince outlet for the laundry room, or a circuit for the washer and dryer. I cant believe it can be both because if the washer and dryer are running at the same time you don’t have room for much else.

After posting I now realize that the exception is for the unit itself in the building. I guess you learn from just posting here. Its nice to look like an idiot on your first post. [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by bonding jumper (edited 04-28-2005).]
Posted By: Alan Nadon Re: Laundry circuit - 04/29/05 06:42 PM
When the stackable washer & dryer are in a closet the 120 V laundry outlet could be located facing into a hallway, etc. where an ironing board could be located. 210.52 (F) refers to the laundry areas. Not a specific room.

While you may have never seen someone operating an electric iron, ask them if they have one. You will be suprised by the response.

I have to admit, my wife got out the iron after Thanksgiving a few years ago and set up in the dinning room to iron the table cloth. Then she got out the 16/2 extension cord because the cord on the iron wasn't long enough.

She thought my shouting was in bad taste.
Alan--

[This message has been edited by Alan Nadon (edited 04-29-2005).]
© ECN Electrical Forums