ECN Forum
Posted By: jmcelectric outlets - 04/14/05 02:29 AM
can 15a rec. be wired to a 20a circuit using the feed thru screws on the rec.? or would you have to splice conductors so there is no more than one wire on device?
Posted By: George Little Re: outlets - 04/14/05 11:58 AM
Only the grounded conductor and then only if it is part of a multiwire branch circuit. 300.13(B). If it were my job I'd pigtail both of the circuit conductors because it's a more reliable job. But, code is minimum and that's what all I can ask for as an inspector.
Posted By: Ryan_J Re: outlets - 04/14/05 01:15 PM
can 15a rec. be wired to a 20a circuit using the feed thru screws on the rec.?

Yes
Posted By: Steve Miller Re: outlets - 04/14/05 07:19 PM
Gee Ryan ... a one word answer. You must not have had your morning coffee [Linked Image]
Posted By: Larry Fine Re: outlets - 04/27/05 07:08 AM
The answer is definitely yes. The neutral should be pigtailed if it's part of a multi-wire circuit, unless the breaker handles are tied together.

The only difference between 15- and 20-amp receptacles of the same grade is the 20-amp-plug rejection of the 15-amp receptacle.

In other words, the slot shape is the only difference; the internals are the same. Ever notice that 15-amp GFCI receptacles are feed-thru rated for 20 amps?
Posted By: kd Re: outlets - 04/27/05 11:47 AM
#12 wire will not fit in the stab-in slot on a 15 amp receptacle. It is Code legal to install 15 amp receptacles on a 20 amp circuit if there is more than one receptacle on the circuit--if only one receptacle (or one duplex) then it must be 20 amp rating. Use the screws to attach the wire. Do not pigtail #14 wire on a 20 amp circuit. As for multi-wire circuits, always splice the neutral(solid neutral) whether the handles are tied together or not. It is not required to tie the handles--but I believe it should be required. 20 A receptacles have no stab-in slots. Usually the blade holding hardware is stronger. On 20 A circuits, I pigtail hot, neutral, and ground in each box it speeds up the finish electridal.
Posted By: Larry Fine Re: outlets - 04/30/05 01:38 AM
210.4 Multiwire Branch Circuits.
(C) Line-to-Neutral Loads. Multiwire branch circuits shall supply only line-to-neutral loads.
Exception No. 1: A multiwire branch circuit that supplies only one utilization equipment.
Exception No. 2: Where all ungrounded conductors of the multiwire branch circuit are opened simultaneously by the branch-circuit overcurrent device.

210.21 Outlet Devices.
Outlet devices shall have an ampere rating that is not less than the load to be served and shall comply with 210.21(A) and (B).
(B) Receptacles.
(1) Single Receptacle on an Individual Branch Circuit. A single receptacle installed on an individual branch circuit shall have an ampere rating not less than that of the branch circuit.

ARTICLE 100 Definitions
Receptacle. A receptacle is a contact device installed at the outlet for the connection of an attachment plug. A single receptacle is a single contact device with no other contact device on the same yoke. A multiple receptacle is two or more contact devices on the same yoke.

300.13 Mechanical and Electrical Continuity — Conductors.
(B) Device Removal. In multiwire branch circuits, the continuity of a grounded conductor shall not depend on device connections such as lampholders, receptacles, and so forth, where the removal of such devices would interrupt the continuity.

[This message has been edited by Larry Fine (edited 04-29-2005).]

[This message has been edited by Larry Fine (edited 04-29-2005).]
Posted By: iwire Re: outlets - 04/30/05 08:55 AM
Larry

Handle ties or not 300.13(B) requires the pig tailing of the neutral.

The exception you highlighted, 210.4(C)Exception No. 2 has no influence on the 300.13(B) requirement to pigtail the grounded conductor.

Bob
Posted By: Larry Fine Re: outlets - 04/30/05 06:37 PM
You're absolutely correct. My apologies.
Posted By: Ryan_J Re: outlets - 04/30/05 06:54 PM
Gee Ryan ... a one word answer. You must not have had your morning coffee

Yeah...you got me there! [Linked Image]
Posted By: SolarPowered Re: outlets - 05/01/05 06:26 AM
George Little, and others, what is your feeling about feeding through using the clamp-style back-wire feature on some of the better receptacles? My intuitive impression of these is that they are more secure than a wire-nutted connection. What do you think?

(My question is regarding non-multiwire circuits; one is obviously required to nut the neutral on multiwire ciruits.)
Posted By: Larry Fine Re: outlets - 05/01/05 06:42 AM
I personally like the clamping stabs the best of all. Leviton Pro-grade and GFCI receptacles have them.
Posted By: e57 Re: outlets - 05/01/05 07:11 AM
Solarpowered, I like them too, but I have noticed some of the pressure clamp style connections have a tedancey to loosen as you roll the devise and wires into the box. (On solid wire that is, the wire is not always round, and as the divise goes back, the wire turns to a point that has less contact on the terminal.) Unless you kanda over-torque them with an impact gun. [Linked Image] Release the trigger before the device disinigrates.
Posted By: George Little Re: outlets - 05/01/05 12:45 PM
My choice would be the screw / plate type connection. Of course any connection is impacted by workmanship and the mechanics of folding the wires behind the device when it is installed in the box. I do think the screw only connection can loosen easier when the device is installed.
Posted By: PCBelarge Re: outlets - 05/01/05 01:56 PM
From George
" Of course any connection is impacted by workmanship and the mechanics"

I like the way you said this, it should be said every time someone mentions 'what if'.
© ECN Electrical Forums