ECN Forum
Posted By: watersparkfalls multi gang boxes - 03/26/05 11:33 PM
where in the nec does it talk about multigang boxes? I looked in my old "99" book art 370 and "2002" art 314 it doesn't talk about multi gang boxes specifically internal clamps per securing not box fill.
and a single gang exception if romex strapped within 8"
Posted By: Joe Tedesco Re: multi gang boxes - 03/26/05 11:52 PM
314.17(C) Nonmetallic Boxes and Conduit Bodies. Nonmetallic boxes and conduit bodies shall be suitable for the lowest temperature-rated conductor entering the box. Where nonmetallic boxes and conduit bodies are used with open wiring or concealed knob-and-tube wiring, the conductors shall enter the box through individual holes. Where flexible tubing is used to enclose the conductors, the tubing shall extend from the last insulating support to not less than 6 mm (¼ in.) inside the box and beyond any cable clamp. Where nonmetallic-sheathed cable or multiconductor Type UF cable is used, the sheath shall extend not less than 6 mm (¼ in.) inside the box and beyond any cable clamp. In all instances, all permitted wiring methods shall be secured to the boxes.

Exception: Where nonmetallic-sheathed cable or multiconductor Type UF cable is used with single gang boxes not larger than a nominal size 57 mm × 100 mm (2 ¼ in. × 4 in.) mounted in walls or ceilings, and where the cable is fastened within 200 mm (8 in.) of the box measured along the sheath and where the sheath extends through a cable knockout not less than 6 mm (¼ in.), securing the cable to the box shall not be required. Multiple cable entries shall be permitted in a single cable knockout opening.
Posted By: watersparkfalls Re: multi gang boxes - 03/27/05 04:02 PM
thanks...wow each wire has to be in individual hole as well...didn't know that i like to bring three wire(for 3-ways) with switch leg for make up reasons.
Posted By: royta Re: multi gang boxes - 05/12/05 05:19 PM
Joe, what is meant by "open wiring" in Where nonmetallic boxes and conduit bodies are used with open wiring or concealed knob-and-tube wiring, the conductors shall enter the box through individual holes.? This isn't saying you can't install two NM-B cables into a single entry hole on a multi-gang non-metallic box is it?
Posted By: DougW Re: multi gang boxes - 05/12/05 05:55 PM
Read your NEC Articles, boys... it's all there if you look hard enough [Linked Image] <smart aleck>

(Courtesy of the '96 NEC)

ART 320 - OPEN WIRING ON INSULATORS - Open wiring on insulators is aa exposed wiring method using cleats, knobs, tubes, and flexible tubing for the protection and support of single insulated conductors run in or on buildings, and not concealed by the building structure.

ART 324 - CONCEALED KNOB-AND-TUBE WIRING - Concealed knob-and-tube wiring - a wiring method using cleats, knobs, tubes, and flexible tubing for the protection and support of single insulated conductors

As far as multiple NM entries?

Read the Exception. It's plainly allowed.
Posted By: royta Re: multi gang boxes - 05/12/05 06:25 PM
For some reason, I thought the words "single gang boxes" in the first sentence of the exception also referred to the final sentence of the exception. That's why I thought it would be odd that you could do it on a single gang box but not on a multi-gang box. Thanks for clearing it up.
Posted By: Joe Tedesco Re: multi gang boxes - 05/13/05 01:39 AM
See last sentence of the Exception above:

"Multiple cable entries shall be permitted in a single cable knockout opening."
Posted By: Electric Ian Re: multi gang boxes - 05/13/05 11:25 AM
What's the limit on the number of cables allowed through a single entry?
Posted By: royta Re: multi gang boxes - 05/13/05 01:00 PM
Joe Tedesco wrote:
See last sentence of the Exception above:
"Multiple cable entries shall be permitted in a single cable knockout opening."

Because it was a part of a single Exception, and the words "multi-gang" weren't mentioned anywhere, but the words "single gang" were, I thought that sentence was only referring to single gang boxes. The Exception is ambiguous and appears open to interpretation by the AHJ.

I was quite surprised when I read the actual code, because I thought I must have been doing it wrong (more than one cable entry per hole on a mutlti-gang box) all of this time.

[This message has been edited by royta (edited 05-13-2005).]
Posted By: Larry Fine Re: multi gang boxes - 05/16/05 12:03 AM
What's the limit on the number of cables allowed through a single entry?
My experience has been "what will fit", based on my practice and no AHJ complaints ever. I routinely insert three 14/2's or 12/2's in a single-gang Carlon cable hole when they come from the same direction, such as feed-in/feed-out/switch-leg to a wall switch.

In fact, when roughing, I usually strip the two or three cables, strip the wires, hook those intended for screws, align the colors, "pre-twist" the grounds together (and any others to be joined) all before inserting them into the box, and then staple or stack.

To me, this is faster, and definitely neater, than any other way; especially compared to others I've seen who don't even strip the sheath before box insertion. Plus, I never mistake which wire is which (leg, travelers, etc.) I also label the cables inside the box.
Posted By: The_Judge Re: multi gang boxes - 05/16/05 03:54 AM
Wow, that sounds like it would take three times as long and have twice the misties.

To each his own... [Linked Image]
© ECN Electrical Forums