ECN Forum
Posted By: Elzappr Receptacles under raised floors - 02/26/05 06:59 PM
Can receptacle outlets be placed under raised floors for power to office equipment?
Posted By: George Little Re: Receptacles under raised floors - 02/26/05 09:15 PM
I would say probably it's red tag time. I say that because a receptacle under the floor would obviously leed to a cord under the floor and now we have trouble with 400.8(5). The exception could be in a computer room, raised floor.
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Receptacles under raised floors - 02/27/05 12:03 AM
Even under a computer room raised floor you need plenum rated power cords. There are always going to be receptacles but they will be IEC309s or Russell Stolls, not the usual NEMA 5-15
Posted By: Ron Re: Receptacles under raised floors - 02/27/05 12:36 AM
Since a flexible cord can't be below the raised floor, there is no need for a receptacle.
If you are 645 compliant, then its ok if the cord is rated as 'DP'.
Why not place a floor box in the raised floor tile, then all is ok.
Posted By: Elzappr Re: Receptacles under raised floors - 02/27/05 02:33 AM
You all have confirmed my suspicions. What I am dealing with is a 5 story building with cords plugged in regular duplex receptacles under the raised floors. The cords are actually 20' long plug strips. they poke up through bushed holes in the concrete floor tiles. This is not a computer room nor server room situation, just a general office space.
As far as I know, this set-up has never been allowed by code. Right?
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Receptacles under raised floors - 02/27/05 02:55 AM
That is not legal, nor is simply converting old computer room space to office space, retaining the raised floor for a "convienient" wiring bay. When computers stopped being an acre of boxes and became a rack they had lots of raised floor real estate. It ends up being an office but they still use the floor for a plenum and they lose all the breaks they got in 645.
Posted By: George Little Re: Receptacles under raised floors - 02/27/05 05:39 AM
Greg, are you sure about this?
Even under a computer room raised floor you need plenum rated power cords. There are always going to be receptacles but they will be IEC309s or Russell Stolls, not the usual NEMA 5-15
I thought that the cord and the wiring method to the receptacle were the only issues. please educate me.
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Receptacles under raised floors - 02/27/05 05:59 AM
Actually Ron hit the code issue. (listed "DP" cable)
The reason you don't see regular receptacles under the floor is you don't want to crash the system because someone yanked the wrong cable and pulls out a plug to a critical box.
Posted By: George Re: Receptacles under raised floors - 02/27/05 06:47 AM
I don't wish to start a fight over the issue, but I don't think it is as clear cut as it could be ...

I can certainly run a standard cord under a table. I can carpet my floor with tables. I can place the recept below table ehight. I can walk on top of the tables and place my furniture on top of the tables.

I used the word "table" where most people would use the word "floor."
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Receptacles under raised floors - 02/27/05 07:44 AM
I can call my pool a bathtub but that doesn't mean the AHJ will let me ignore 680.
If your AHJ decides your tables are really a floor you will have to follow the rules about penetrations.
Virtually all computer room floors are plenums, moving environmental air. That is why they have the rules about cable flamability.
There are also recognized office floor duct systems so we want to be sure what we are talking about here.
Posted By: George Little Re: Receptacles under raised floors - 02/27/05 01:41 PM
George- I don't buy your table analogy here but I have been shown here that a "standard" receptacle is legal under the computer room floor as long as it is wired using the methods discribed in 645.5(D). While Greg feels it's not a good idea, he won't use them, I'm sure they are being used legally by others.
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Receptacles under raised floors - 02/27/05 05:57 PM
I saw plenty of regular receptacles under the floor.
The problem is coming up with a way that they can be used legally. The under floor receptacles are supposed to serve computer equipment and that will come with the IEC309 or Russell Stoll plug cap. In traditional computer rooms they won't even bring a neutral to the computer supply panels. Everything is on a L/L circuit.
I suppose things may be different in the PC crazed world we live in now but that also eliminated the need for most 645 regulated raised floors. What used to be a room full of boxes now resides in a few 19" racks, bolted together. The HVAC chiller might be bigger than the "computer".
Posted By: IanR Re: Receptacles under raised floors - 02/28/05 01:57 PM
We have recepticles under a raised floor here at work. We use NEMA locking connectors and SOOW cord to feed the 19" equipment racks above.
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Receptacles under raised floors - 02/28/05 03:57 PM
I doubt SOOW cord meets the flame test
Posted By: Ryan_J Re: Receptacles under raised floors - 02/28/05 05:16 PM
If it is an IT room, you don't need the DP rating. See 645.5(D)(2).
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Receptacles under raised floors - 02/28/05 05:38 PM
HUH? 645.5(D)(2) refers to the branch circuit that serves the receptacle, not the line cord. SO is not one of the wiring methods anyway.
We had to rip out all of the SO cord under the floor in the mid 70s. That is where I got my welder extension cord.

645.5(D)(2)The branch-circuit supply conductors to receptacles or field-wired equipment are in rigid metal conduit, rigid nonmetallic conduit, intermediate metal conduit, electrical metallic tubing, electrical nonmetallic tubing, metal wireway, nonmetallic wireway, surface metal raceway with metal cover, nonmetallic surface raceway, flexible metal conduit, liquidtight flexible metal conduit, or liquidtight flexible nonmetallic conduit, Type MI cable, Type MC cable, or Type AC cable. These supply conductors shall be installed in accordance with the requirements of 300.11.

645.5(D)(5)Cables, other than those covered in (2) and those complying with (a), (b), and (c), shall be listed as Type DP cable having adequate fire-resistant characteristics suitable for use under raised floors of an information technology equipment room.
(a) Interconnecting cables enclosed in a raceway.
(b) Interconnecting cables listed with equipment manufactured prior to July 1, 1994, being installed with that equipment.
(c) Cable type designations Type TC (Article 336); Types CL2, CL3, and PLTC (Article 725); Type ITC (Article 727); Types NPLF and FPL (Article 760); Types OFC and OFN (Article 770); Types CM and MP (Article 800); and Type CATV (Article 820). These designations shall be permitted to have an additional letter P or R or G. Green, with one or more yellow stripes, insulated single conductor cables, 4 AWG and larger, marked “for use in cable trays” or “for CT use” shall be permitted for equipment grounding.

I doubt you will see much pre 1994 equipment these days. It was pretty much all gone when I retired in 96. There was a significant technology change in that timeframe. Disks went from the large format media to racks full of 3.5" drives similar to what is in a PC. Processors, controllers etc went from transistor logic to CMOS logic which allowed smaller boards and very much lower operating currents. That was the end of the "glass house" computer room as we knew it. That room full of walk in freezer sized boxes became a rack.
I lost interest in computers when they stopped having hydraulic pumps in them
Posted By: IanR Re: Receptacles under raised floors - 02/28/05 06:22 PM
gfretwell-"I doubt SOOW cord meets the flame test"
Yeah tell me about it. I somtimes wish a that I could bring a camera to work and post the miriad of code violations that I see on a regular basis. Unfortuneatly we build a lot of classified systems for the military and cameras are strictly prohibited behind the perimiter fence. Thankfully the violations that I have seen aren't major safety hazards, just ignorant EE's that have no idea what is and isn't code compliant.
Posted By: Ron Re: Receptacles under raised floors - 02/28/05 06:28 PM
IanR,
You work at an interesting shop, where the EE's install circuits. [Linked Image]
Usually the guy installing the circuit can give an opinion too.
Posted By: markp Re: Receptacles under raised floors - 02/28/05 08:18 PM
This issue causes me no end of grief. The whole idea of a raised floor has been wrecked by the NEC, and NEC 645 doesn't provide enough relief. How many of you have seen power cable or interface cables with a DP listing? I've never seen one. I suppose I could buy the cable and make up some, but I shouldn't have to. The interface cables are many times impossible to make up ourselves (proprietary connectors). What we've done in most of our 645 areas is to put 5" holes in some floor tiles and then mount a receptacle box on unistrut so it is directly under the hole. This way, only the cord cap is "under the floor" and only for about an inch.

The other thing that burns me up is that liquidtight flex is not allowed under our floors unless it is secured every 4 (?) feet. This again defeats the purpose of why you want a raised floor computing lab area. Fortunately, we have a contractor that is allowed to make UL Listed IT cable assemblies, so they do basically what we would do with the flex, but they can put a UL label on it.

Are any of you required to secure your phone or network cabling under the floor? I can't seem to find a code section that covers it. I used rip ties to every other floor post, and the inspector didn't seem to like that.

These inspectors don't seem to care that the layout of our computing rooms is constantly changing.
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Receptacles under raised floors - 02/28/05 08:35 PM
All IBM interface cables after 1993 were DP listed/labelled. (usually tan colord)
The blue ones were also compliant but not labelled. The grey ones were not. Generally speaking, anything "riser" or "plenum" rated is OK for "DP" (CLxR or CLxP).
All IBM ESCON fiber was "DP" AFAIK.
The stuff on the branch circuit side has to comply with 645.5(D)(2)
Posted By: Ryan_J Re: Receptacles under raised floors - 02/28/05 10:35 PM
My bad [Linked Image] I read the section too quickly.
© ECN Electrical Forums