ECN Forum
Posted By: mj Common grounding electrode,per sec#250.58 - 01/29/05 04:33 PM
guys, I need help with this ons... given a large multifamliy dwelling unit has (2) services, The building has a (2)hour rated party wall halfway the building, this is not a true fire wall, therefore this is considered to be one building. my question is to comply with 250.58, to have a single grounding system, Can the bonding jumper that connects service #1 to service #2 be routed through the attic of the the building ? thanks, mj
Posted By: Roger Re: Common grounding electrode,per sec#250.58 - 01/29/05 04:40 PM
Mj, there is nothing prohibiting running through the attic as far as the NEC is concerned, there could possibly be a local code though.

Just be sure to use a proper "through penetration assembly" (fire cauking) when going through the rated wall.

Roger
Posted By: mj Re: Common grounding electrode,per sec#250.58 - 01/29/05 05:00 PM
thanks Roger, I have a contractor that do not understand the purpose of 250.58 since the slap in already in, I was going to suggest routing the bonding jumper through the attic to create a single grounding electrode system.
Posted By: mj Re: Common grounding electrode,per sec#250.58 - 02/01/05 11:56 PM
need help guys.... any more details to support sec# 250.58, commom gronding electrode where there are multiple services on one building ? I have a board meeting soon, and I need to prove my case for requiring the bonding of electrodes for all services. thanks, mj
Posted By: mj Re: Common grounding electrode,per sec#250.58 - 02/02/05 12:06 AM
does any kwows how long this requirment has been required in the nec .... "common gronding electrode,Sec # 250.58 " I had one inspector stated that it was not required in the 1990 nec.
© ECN Electrical Forums