ECN Forum
Posted By: kd torque - 01/09/05 03:00 PM
When I torque lugs using Aluminum wire, I will apply, say 50 ft. lbs., then several days later check the torque. It will be down to, say, 35 lbs, so I re-torque it. Other ECs say you should just torque it and forget it--that the loss in tightness is built-in to the required torque. Of course Copper holds its torque so it is not a problem. What do you guys and gals say about this?
Posted By: Tom Re: torque - 01/09/05 03:47 PM
Torque it once to the specifications for the lug & leave it alone.
Posted By: George Little Re: torque - 01/09/05 04:37 PM
How does an inspector know how much you've torqued a connection? I am a fan of the break away connection.
Posted By: Physis Re: torque - 01/10/05 05:38 AM
Another reason to not like aluminum as a conductor.
Posted By: John Steinke Re: torque - 01/11/05 12:13 AM
Not "another" reason- THE reason! Aluminum is notorious for "creep" when over-torqued. Aluminum should not be torqued to the same values as copper for this reason.
Simply put, too much pressure causes the metal to flow, leaving you with a loose connection. Make sure the value you're using is the correct on, and not "something always used."
Posted By: kd Re: torque - 01/12/05 05:31 AM
Aluminum association torque table shows the sasme values for Cooper and Aluminum.
Posted By: Nick Re: torque - 01/18/05 01:24 AM
Here is some good info on the subject. http://www.fciconnect.com/products/technical_01_01_11.asp#table03
Posted By: resqcapt19 Re: torque - 01/18/05 04:21 PM
The following is a very important quote from the document that Nick has posted a link to.
It is often asked whether bolted connections require periodic retightening. The simple answer is NO. Once the connector is installed with the proper torque, repeated tightening could actually damage the connector and/or the conductor and eventually lead to a failure.
Don
© ECN Electrical Forums